July 7, 2022
Cairo, 3 May 2011
Under the auspices of Egypt, delegations from the Fatah and Hamas movements met in Cairo on
April 27, 2011 to discuss the issues concerning ending the political division and the achievement
of national unity. On top of the issues were some reservations related to the Palestinian National
Unity Accord made in 2009.
Both political parties mutually agreed that the basis of understanding made during the meeting are committing to both parties in the implementation of the Palestinian National Reconciliation
The basis of understanding agreed upon by Fatah and Hamas are as follows:
A. Election Committee:
Both Fatah and Hamas agree to identify the names of the members of the Central Election
Commission in agreement with the Palestinian factions. This list will then be submitted to the
Palestinian President who will issue a decree of the reformation of the committee.
B. Electoral Court:
Both Fatah and Hamas agree on the nomination of no more than twelve judges to be members of
the Electoral Court. This list will then be submitted to the Palestinian President in order to take
the necessary legal actions to form the Electoral Court in agreement with the Palestinian factions.
C. Timing of Elections:
The Legislative, Presidential, and the Palestinian National Council elections will be conducted at
the same time exactly one year after the signing of the Palestinian National Reconciliation
2. Palestine Liberation Organization
The political parties of both Fatah and Hamas agree that the tasks and decisions of the
provisional interim leadership cannot be hindered or obstructed, but in a manner that is not
conflicting with the authorities of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation
It was emphasized that the formation of the Higher Security Committee which will be formed by
a decree of the Palestinian President and will consist of professional officers in consensus.
A. Formation of the Government:
Both Fatah and Hamas agree to form a Palestinian government and to appoint the Prime Minister
and Ministers in consensus between them.
B. Functions of the Government:
1. Preparation of necessary condition for the conduction of Presidential, Legislative and the
Palestinian National Council elections.
2. Supervising and addressing the prevalent issues regarding the internal Palestinian
reconciliation resulting from the state of division.
3. Follow-up of the reconstruction operations in the Gaza Strip and the efforts to end the siege
and blockade that is imposed on it.
4. Continuation of the implementation of the provisions of the Palestinian National Accord.
5. To resolve the civil and administrative problems that resulted from the division.
6. Unification of the Palestinian National Authority institutions in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and
7. To fix the status of the associations, Non-Governmental Organizations and charities.
5. Legislative Council:
Both Fatah and Hamas agree to reactivate the Palestinian Legislative Council in accordance to the Basic Law.
Source: As Published by The Palestinian National Initiative, Translated by Al Mubadara,