Earthquake Felt On Parts Of Long Island
Kristin Palpini11/09/2020 8:30 a.m.
Nassau Daily Voice serves Glen Cove, Hempstead, Long Beach, North Hempstead & Oyster Bay
Police & Fire
11/08/2020 9:30 a.m.
Montauk Photo Credit: Google Maps street view
A search is underway for a missing fisherman who went overboard off the Long Island Coast.
Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound watchstanders received a radio distress call via VHF Channel 16 at 11:20 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 7 about the incident that happened 16 nautical miles south of Montauk Point.
The commercial fishing vessel Hope and Sydney reported that crew member Carl Whitney, 32, had gone overboard, the Coast Guard said on Sunday morning, Nov. 8.
The individual was reported wearing an orange T-shirt, jeans, and carrying a green duffle bag. He was not wearing a personal floatation device, the Coast Guard said.
Multiple assets are currently involved in the search, including:
• Coast Guard Station Montauk 47-foot Motor Lifeboat boat crew
• Coast Guard Guard Cutter Vigorous
• Coast Guard Cutter Kingfisher
• Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew
• Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod HC-144 Ocean Sentry crew