New York Quake Overdue (The Sixth Seal) (Rev 6:12)

New York City Is Overdue For Large Earthquake: Seismologist

New York City could start shaking any minute now.

Won-Young Kim, who runs the seismographic network for the Northeast at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said the city is well overdue for a big earthquake.

From Metro New York:

The last big quake to hit New York City was a 5.3-magnitude tremor in 1884 that happened at sea in between Brooklyn and Sandy Hook. While no one was killed, buildings were damaged.

Kim said the city is likely to experience a big earthquake every 100 years or so.

“It can happen anytime soon,” Kim said. “We can expect it any minute, we just don’t know when and where.”

New York has never experienced a magnitude 6 or 7 earthquake, which are the most dangerous. But magnitude 5 quakes could topple brick buildings and chimneys.

Seismologist John Armbruster said a magnitude 5 quake that happened now would be more devastating than the one that happened in 1884.

“Today, with so many more buildings and people … we’d see billions in damage,” Armbruster said. “People would probably be killed.”

A Closer Look At The Sixth Seal (Revelation 6:12)

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Ramapo Fault is the longest fault in the Northeast that occasionally makes local headlines when minor tremors cause rock the Tri-State region. It begins in Pennsylvania, crosses the Delaware River and continues through Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris, Passaic and Bergen counties before crossing the Hudson River near Indian Point nuclear facility.

In the past, it has generated occasional activity that generated a 2.6 magnitude quake in New Jersey’s Peakpack/Gladstone area and 3.0 magnitude quake in Mendham.

“There is occasional seismic activity in New Jersey,” said Robinson. “There have been a few quakes locally that have been felt and done a little bit of damage over the time since colonial settlement — some chimneys knocked down in Manhattan with a quake back in the 18th century, but nothing of a significant magnitude.”

Robinson said the Ramapo has on occasion registered a measurable quake but has not caused damage: “The Ramapo fault is associated with geological activities back 200 million years ago, but it’s still a little creaky now and again,” he said.

“More recently, in the 1970s and early 1980s, earthquake risk along the Ramapo Fault received attention because of its proximity to Indian Point,” according to the New Jersey Geological Survey website.

Historically, critics of the Indian Point Nuclear facility in Westchester County, New York, did cite its proximity to the Ramapo fault line as a significant risk.

“Subsequent investigations have shown the 1884 Earthquake epicenter was actually located in Brooklyn, New York, at least 25 miles from the Ramapo Fault,” according to the New Jersey Geological Survey website.

The US, Russia and China Horns Unite (Daniel 7)

Trump says he and Putin discussed a three-way nuclear deal that includes China

Washington (CNN) — US President Donald Trump on Friday said that he spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin about a potential nuclear deal with Russia and China.

“We’re talking about a nuclear agreement where we make less and they make less and maybe even where we get rid of some of the tremendous firepower that we have right now. … And China is frankly also — we discussed the possibility of a three-way deal instead of a two-way deal. And China, I’ve already spoken to them. They very much would like to be a part of that deal. In fact, during the trade talks, we started talking about that,” Trump said.

He added, “I think we’re going to probably start something up shortly with Russia and ourselves maybe to start off. I think China will be added down the road.”

Trump later said the nuclear deal is one of the topics he went into “great detail” about with Putin on the call.

CNN reported last week that the Trump administration is aiming for a major nuclear deal with Russia and China.

US Tries to Stop the Iran Nuclear Horn (Daniel 8)

U.S. cracks down on Iran uranium production, nuclear plant – Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States acted on Friday to force Iran to stop producing low-enriched uranium and expanding its only nuclear power plant, intensifying a campaign aimed at halting Tehran’s ballistic missile programme and curbing its regional power.

At the same time, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo renewed waivers of U.S. sanctions allowing Russia, China and European countries to pursue cooperation programmes designed to prevent Iran from reactivating a defunct nuclear weapons programme.

But, the State Department said, the renewable waivers would be granted only for 90 days, a shorter period than previously.

The moves are part of the Trump administration’s efforts to impose international political and economic isolation on Tehran that began with the U.S. withdrawal in May 2018 from the 2015 nuclear deal negotiated with Iran by the United States and other world powers.

It was the third punitive action taken against Iran in as many weeks. Last week, it said it would grant no more sanctions waivers for countries buying Iranian oil, accelerating its plan to push Iran’s oil exports to zero. The Trump administration also took the unprecedented step of designating Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist organisation.

The U.S. actions announced on Friday included an end to a sanctions waiver that allowed Iran to evade a 300-kg limit on the amount of low-enriched uranium it can store under the nuclear deal at its main nuclear facility of Natanz.

The move, State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement, is aimed at forcing Iran to end its production of low-enriched uranium, a demand that Iran has repeatedly rejected.

“Iran must stop all proliferation-sensitive activities, including uranium enrichment, and we will not accept actions that support the continuation of such enrichment,” said Ortagus.

Until now, Iran was allowed to ship low-enriched uranium produced at Natanz to Russia before it hit the 300-kg limit, said David Albright of Institute for Science and International Security.

Beginning on Saturday, Ortagus said, the United States also could use sanctions to block any assistance to Iran to expand the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant, the only such facility in the country.

The plant currently has one working Russian-built reactor, which began operations in 2011, and Iran plans to expand the facility. Moscow signed a deal with Tehran in 2014 to build up to eight more reactors in the country.

Ortagus said that the United States would no longer waive sanctions that allowed Iran to ship to Oman for storage heavy water produced at its Arak facility beyond a 300-tonne limit set in the 2015 nuclear deal.

Heavy water can be employed in reactors to produce plutonium, a fuel used in nuclear warheads.

COOPERATION programmeS ALLOWED

The renewed sanctions waivers will permit Russia, China, and European countries to continue cooperation programmes allowed by the nuclear deal that are designed to ensure that Tehran does not revive its nuclear weapons programme.

U.S. intelligence agencies and the International Atomic Energy Agency say that Iran ended a clandestine programme to develop a missile-borne nuclear warhead in 2003. Iran denies that it ever pursued such a programme.

Under the waivers, China and Britain can continue designing and building a new reactor core for Arak that would make it difficult to produce plutonium.

Russia would be able to continue providing uranium fuel for Bushehr’s single reactor.

The State Department said that a sanctions waiver also was granted to allow the modification of infrastructure at the once-secret Fordow uranium enrichment plant “to help ensure that the facility is no longer used for uranium enrichment.”

It was not clear from the statement if the waiver applied to Russia’s work with Iran to develop at Fordow the capability to produce non-radioactive isotopes.

France would be permitted to continue a civilian nuclear safety training programme.

“We reserve the right to revoke or modify our policy covering these nonproliferation activities at any time if Iran violates its nuclear obligations or commitments or we conclude that such projects no longer provide value in constraining Iranian nuclear activities,” Ortagus said.

Additional reporting by Eric Beech; editing by Mary Milliken and Cynthia Osterman

Four More Palestinians Killed Outside the Temple Walls (Revelation 11)

Palestinian protesters try to climb the border fence with Israel during clashes following a demonstration along the border east of Gaza City on May 3, 2019. AFP

Israel Strikes Hamas Post After Gaza Fire Wounds Two Soldiers; Four Palestinians Killed

Soldiers evacuated after suffering moderate and light wounds from live gunfire from the Strip ■ Palestinian Healthy Ministry reports two dead from strike, two dead and 51 wounded at weekly Gaza border protests

Yaniv KubovichJack KhouryAlmog Ben Zikri

04.05.2019 | 02:00

Two Palestinians were killed in an Israeli airstrike Friday on a Hamas outpost in the southern Gaza Strip after two soldiers were wounded by Palestinian gunfire near the border fence. In addition, two Palestinians were killed by live Israeli fire in protests along the border.

The two soldiers, one of whom is an officer, were wounded moderately and lightly and evacuated for further treatement. Two Gazans were killed in the strike and two other were evacuated for medical attention after the strike, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.

The two killed Palestinians are Abdullah Abu Malouh, 33, from Nuseirat refugee camp and Alaa al-Bubli, 29, from al-Maghazi refugee camp, both affiliated with Hamas’ military wing, Iz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades.

Also Friday, Israeli tanks opened fire on Palestinian protesters east of al-Bureij camp, according to Palestinian sources. The health ministry said that two Palestinian were killed and 51 were wounded by Israeli fire in the weekly demonstration. The two Palestinians killed are Raed Abu Teir, 19, who was shot by live Israeli fire in a protest east of Khan Younis, and Abdullah Mahmoud Abu Malouh, 33, who was shot in the central Strip.

The joint operations room for Hamas and other Gaza factions announced it is on high alert and preparing a response to the killing of three Palestinians. 

Incidents come as Hamas and Islamic Jihad officials are in Egypt in an attempt to bring about a calm in the border. Islamic Jihad is said to be aware that Israel is avoiding a substantial response ahead of the Eurovision song contest.

Some 5,200 Palestinian are protesting in several locations along the Gaza border fence and are burning tires, throwing rocks and incendiary devices, as well as attempting to sabotage the border fence. The Israel Defense Forces is responding with means of riot control, including live ammunition.

Friday morning, three fires were extinguished in Israeli communities near the Gaza border as a result of incendiary baloons flown from Gaza

A Warning About Oil Before the Iranian War

Bahraini FM Claims Shutting Hormuz Strait ‘Self-Choking’ for Iran

May 3, 2019 – 14:14

By IFP Editorial Staff

May 3, 2019 – 14:14

In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat in Paris, Sheikh Khalid noted that “the Islamic Republic made big mistakes when it interfered in the internal affairs of the regional countries and sent money, arms and militias.

“The nuclear deal the US withdrew from was the main cause of current situation. The JCPOA dealt with Iran’s nuclear program and did not consider the country’s ballistic program which was threatening us. The deal also left aside the policy of Iranian hegemony,” he added.

He said as these issues have not been resolved, Tehran felt free to keep on its practices, to such an extent that it is now threatening to shut the Strait of Hormuz, but it knows that the shutting means self-defeating.

Elsewhere in his remarks, the Bahraini official highlighted that Iran should review its policies towards the region and the US.

“We see a chance for Tehran to reconsider its policy, which has brought Tehran to the edge of the abyss,” he declared.

“We take these threats seriously and interact with each other, and these threats pave the ground for our allies to take positions to defend our interests.”

Sheikh Khalid said Iran’s threats are blunt threats to all regional states. “I still believe that Iran may think carefully before making such a decision because it would be a dangerous escalation that would not last for even one day.”

“In the past, Iran has made important decisions, such as ending the war with Iraq, which at that time Iran said it was like drinking the cup of poison. Perhaps Iran will move towards changing its policies. We do hope that at this sensitive moment they will make the right decision.”

Khalid’s comments came a few days after Iranian Foreign Minister said at the Asia Society in New York that “it is in our vital national security interest to keep the Persian Gulf open, to keep the Strait of Hormuz open. We have done that in the past and we will continue to do so in the future.”

“But the United States should know that when they enter the Strait of Hormuz, they have to talk to those protecting the Strait of Hormuz — and that is the Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps,” he added.

Tension with Iraq

On the recent tension with Iraq, the Bahraini minister said there are people in Iraq who are conspiring with the outside world, such as Muqtada al-Sadr, to insult Bahrain in the way Iran wants.

“When they saw Iraq was approaching Saudi Arabia and developing its ties with Bahrain and had opened embassies and consulates, they did not want it to continue, and he [Sadr] issued an insulting statement,” added Sheikh Khalid.

Earlier, Muqtada al-Sadr issued a statement demanding that the conflicts in Yemen, Bahrain and Syria be stopped immediately, and their rulers immediately step down. He also called on the United Nations to intervene to prepare the ground for fair elections in Manama without the intervention of other countries.

Bahraini foreign minister said “we waited for two and a half hours for the Iraqi government’s response to the statement but did not receive a response. Therefore, we summoned the Iraqi Charge d’Affaires and gave him a letter of protest, saying what was stated by Sadr is not acceptable.”

“We stressed that the Iraqi side is responsible for destruction of our relations, and you saw what happened. The Iraqi government subsequently issued a statement in support of Sadr and defended him and announced that he would summon Bahrain’s ambassador.”

He added that the key to solve this issue is in the hands of Iraq. “Does it want to interact with Arabs or it wants to continue this line? What is important to us is that we do not accept these statements and condemn any intervention in our affairs.”

He further called on the Iraqi government to continue its progress in improving relations with the Arab countries and to take care of it.

“If today an anti-Bahraini statement is issued, tomorrow it will be issued against Saudi Arabia which is now honestly trying to build strong ties with Iraq. These people, who make statements, are plotting under an order from outside Iraq. We want the Iraqi government not to allow these people to spoil the interests of both sides.”

“They want me to apologise to them for the answer to the person who insulted us, but they should have asked that person to apologise to us because he has insulted the Bahraini nation beforehand.”

Sheikh Khalid’s comments come after Iraq’s foreign ministry demanded that Bahrain issue an official apology after the kingdom’s top diplomat said the Iranian government controlled Baghdad and called the top Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr a “dog”.

“The statements of the Bahraini foreign ministry are offensive to Muqtada al-Sadr and are totally unacceptable in diplomatic arena,” the Iraqi foreign ministry said in a statement back on Sunday.

“They also harm Iraq, its sovereignty and independence, especially when the Bahraini minister speaks of Iraq being controlled by Iran,” Al Jazeera quoted him as saying.

Bahraini Foreign Minister Khaled bin Ahmed in a tweet called al-Sadr a “dog” after the Iraqi top cleric denounced the wars in Yemen, Bahrain and Syria.

Iran to Take Offensive Against Babylon the Great

Iran’s Khamenei Urges Country to Take Up ‘Battle Formation’ Against US Plotting

The temporary US sanctions exemptions granted to eight major importers of Iranian crude oil expire on Thursday, with Iranian officials brushing off US threats to bring their energy exports down “to zero” and warning that the use of oil sanctions could lead to further volatility in global energy markets.

Iran must counter the enemy’s “battle formation” and pressures ranging from economic warfare to political pressure and intelligence-gathering efforts by taking appropriate measures in response, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has indicated.

“The US and the Zionism are plotting and acting [against Iran] in all areas,” Khamenei said, speaking to teachers in Tehran on Wednesday on the eve of National Teachers Day, the Tasnim News Agency has reported. 

“In the face of the enemy’s battle formation against the Iranian nation, the nation should take up battle formation likewise,” he stressed.

According to Khamenei, President Donald Trump’s hostile behaviour toward Iran is not new, but rather a continuation in the open of the policies of previous administrations.

“America and [Israel] are planning and making moves in all areas. Of course, this is not unique to the current American administration. Previous administrations have also done the same things with velvet gloves. But the current president…has taken off these gloves and everyone can see what they have hidden underneath,” Khamenei said.

According to the supreme leader, all enemy plots against Iran will eventually backfire, and young Iranians will live to “witness the defeat of America and Zionism as well as the ultimate dignity and grandeur of the Iranian nation.”

© AP Photo / Iranian Presidency Office

Iran Warns Using Oil Cuts as Weapon Could Collapse OPEC

Long-standing tense relations between Iran and the United States took a turn for the worse in May 2018, after Washington unilaterally withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal. Since then, the US has slapped Iran with multiple rounds of tough sanctions, including energy restrictions aimed at bringing Iran’s oil exports down “to zero” to cripple the country’s economy.

In November 2018, Washington provided eight major importers of Iranian oil, including China, India, South Korea, Japan, Greece and Italy, with temporary waivers exempting them from US sanctions. The wavers expired on Thursday, with the administration giving no indication of any plans to extend them.

Iran has warned that any direct effort by the US or any other country to stop the country from exporting its oil could lead to a closure of the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic waterway through which about 20 per cent of the world’s total oil supplies pass.

On Wednesday, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zangeneh said that any US bid to cut Iran’s oil exports to nothing would be a “pious hope,” adding that any country which uses oil “as a political tool should accept its repercussions as well.” According to the minister, the present US efforts against Iran and Venezuela, two founding members of OPEC, may lead to the organisation’s disintegration.