The Sixth Seal: More Than Just Manhattan (Revelation 6:12)

New York, NY – In a Quake, Brooklyn Would Shake More Than Manhattan

By Brooklyn Eagle

New York, NY – The last big earthquake in the New York City area, centered in New York Harbor just south of Rockaway, took place in 1884 and registered 5.2 on the Richter Scale.Another earthquake of this size can be expected and could be quite damaging, says Dr. Won-Young Kim, senior research scientist at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University.

And Brooklyn, resting on sediment, would shake more than Manhattan, built on solid rock. “There would be more shaking and more damage,” Dr. Kim told the Brooklyn Eagle on Wednesday.

If an earthquake of a similar magnitude were to happen today near Brooklyn, “Many chimneys would topple. Poorly maintained buildings would fall down – some buildings are falling down now even without any shaking. People would not be hit by collapsing buildings, but they would be hit by falling debris. We need to get some of these buildings fixed,” he said.

But a 5.2 is “not comparable to Haiti,” he said. “That was huge.” Haiti’s devastating earthquake measured 7.0.

Brooklyn has a different environment than Haiti, and that makes all the difference, he said. Haiti is situated near tectonic plate.

“The Caribbean plate is moving to the east, while the North American plate is moving towards the west. They move about 20 mm – slightly less than an inch – every year.” The plates are sliding past each other, and the movement is not smooth, leading to jolts, he said.

While we don’t have the opportunity for a large jolt in Brooklyn, we do have small, frequent quakes of a magnitude of 2 or 3 on the Richter Scale. In 2001 alone the city experienced two quakes: one in January, measuring 2.4, and one in October, measuring 2.6. The October quake, occurring soon after Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, “caused a lot of panic,” Dr. Kim said.

“People ask me, ‘Should I get earthquake insurance?’ I tell them no, earthquake insurance is expensive. Instead, use that money to fix chimneys and other things. Rather than panicky preparations, use common sense to make things better.”

Secure bookcases to the wall and make sure hanging furniture does not fall down, Dr. Kim said. “If you have antique porcelains or dishes, make sure they’re safely stored. In California, everything is anchored to the ground.”

While a small earthquake in Brooklyn may cause panic, “In California, a quake of magnitude 2 is called a micro-quake,” he added.

Antichrist considers banning video games, citing a decline in society

A woman plays the Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) game on a Samsung Electronics Co Galaxy Note 9. Bloomberg

Iraq is considering banning video games, citing a decline in society

Mina AldroubiApril 14, 2019

Iraq is considering blocking online multiplayer computer games due to an increasing obsession that has triggered fears of violence, crime and a decline in society.

The cultural parliamentary committee submitted on Saturday a draft law that seeks to ban electronic games, in particular PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) and the Blue Whale that was reported to be an online “suicide game”.

“The committee is concerned about the obsession over these electronic games that ignite violence among children and youth. Its influence has spread rapidly among Iraq’s society,” the head of the committee, Sameaa Gullab, said during a press conference in Baghdad.

The request was submitted based on Article 59 of the constitution, she said.

Iraq’s 2005 constitution enshrines freedom of press and publication unless they “violate public order or morality.”

“We are proposing to parliament to block and ban all games that threaten social security, morality, education and all segments of Iraqi society,” Ms Gullab said.

Iraqi media reported incidents of suicide and divorce related to the games during the last year. In depth reporting by local media on the craze has announced it has led to nearly 40,000 divorces worldwide and more than 20 cases in Iraq.

“This issue requires immediate action by the authorities to ban this negative phenomenon through passing this draft legislation,” she said.

The draft law will now be revised by parliamentary speaker Mohammed Al Halbousi.

Iraq is facing a „youth bulge“, a demographic term applied to countries where the vast majority of the population is young, according to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).

Iraq’s young people makes up around 60 per cent of the country’s nearly 40 million population, and 17 per cent of men and 27 per cent of women are unemployed, according to World Bank figures.

PUBG has more than 400 million players across the world. It was developed by South Korean company Blue Hole and is based on a first-person shooter battle for survival format.

The game allegedly inspired an Iraqi teenager, 17, to commit suicide in January, Iraq’s Independent Human Rights Commission said in a statement.

The boy’s family said his death was a “wake up call for the dangers that Iraqi children are being exposed to”.

The development comes after Iraqi populist cleric, Muqtada Al Sadr, called for tighter government control to combat the “addiction”.

“It saddens me to see our youth are brainwashed by PUBG,” Mr Al Sadr said on Twitter.

“Iraq’s society is deteriorating as its youth are occupied by the fighting in PUBG’s battlefields,” he stressed.

Numerous Fatwas have been issued across the county, saying that wasting time on the game is “un-Islamic”.

But teenagers in Baghdad consider playing the game as a way to keep them indoors and away from violence outside.

„I have been playing PUBG for sometime now, I like it because it keeps me at home and away from trouble outside,“ Hassan Ahmed Ali, 21, told The National.

Mr Ali says that parliament needs to consider a substitute for Iraqi youth to „keep us occupied“.

PUBG is banned in Nepal and in the state of Gujarat in India over its association with violence.

Updated: April 14, 2019 06:11 PM

Troubled Indian Point Back on Before the Sixth Seal (Revelation 6)

Indian Point Energy Center temporarily shuts down, natural gas picks up the slack

JOHN MEORE, JMEORE@LOHUD.COM

Troubled Indian Point reactor back to full power after shutdown

Unit 2’s latest shutdown was a precaution so workers could address an issue in a generator

THOMAS C. ZAMBITO | ROCKLAND/WESTCHESTER JOURNAL NEWS | 6:30 pm EDT April 8, 2019

Unit 2 will shut down for good next year while Unit 3 will power down in 2021

There were two unplanned shutdowns of the Unit 2 reactor last month

• Federal safety regulators have not identified any performance-related concerns with the reactor

Indian Point’s Unit 2 reactor was back to full power over the weekend following a three-day shutdown while workers addressed an issue with a generator on the non-nuclear side of the power plant.

Unit 2 resumed generating power Friday afternoon and was at full power Saturday morning after a shutdown that began Tuesday, according to Jerry Nappi, a spokesman for Indian Point’s owner, Entergy.

Indian Point Energy Center in Buchanan, viewed from Tomkins Cove on Tuesday, April 2, 2019.

JOHN MEORE/THE JOURNAL NEWS

Entergy decided to power down Unit 2, one of two working reactors at Indian Point, as a precautionary measure when workers noticed an excitation system which provides the current needed to create electricity, was not functioning properly, Nappi said.

“Upon investigation it was determined that a wired connection inside the system was loose, which resulted in sending a false signal indicating an electrical problem within the generator,” Nappi said. “In reality, there was no issue. Engineers made repairs and tested the system before returning the unit to service.”

Nappi said the workers’ concern was unrelated to two unplanned shutdowns of the reactor, which took place last month.

In each shutdown, inspectors with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission were alerted. No safety or reactor performance concerns were identified, according to NRC spokesman Neil Sheehan.

“One of our Resident Inspectors assigned to Indian Point was in the Unit 2 control room on Friday to observe power ascension activities and the plant’s resynch to the grid,” Sheehan said.

Unit 2’s multiple shutdowns came while the plant’s Unit 3 reactor was down for its biennial maintenance and refueling.

It was the first time in 10 years the plant was not generating power used to create electricity for homes and businesses in Westchester County and New York City.

An investigation by The Journal News/lohud found that during the March shutdown, natural gas filled the energy gap left by the elimination of Indian Point’s contribution to the state’s electrical grid.

Entergy plans to shut down Unit 2 for good next year while Unit 3 will shut down in 2021.

Iraq Supports the Iran Horn (Daniel 8)

Iraqi militias reject US naming of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards as terrorist group

Reuters April 13, 2019 at 02:44 PM

NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) – A group of Iraq’s Shi’ite militia groups said on Saturday that they strongly rejected the designation of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp (IRGC) as a terrorist organization by the United States.

The groups, backed and trained by Tehran, delivered a statement from the home of Iran’s consul-general in the Shi’ite holy city of Najaf.

They announced their solidarity with the Muslim people and the Revolutionary Guards who they said helped to prevent four or five states from falling to Islamic State militants.

President Donald Trump said last week he would name Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist organization.

The action by Trump, who has taken a hard line toward Iran by withdrawing from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and re-imposing broad economic sanctions, marks the first time the United States has formally labeled another country’s military a terrorist group.

„This is laughable coming from the number one sponsor of terrorism, America,“ said a spokesman for the Badr Organisation, without providing evidence.

Badr is led by Iraqi militia commander and politician Hadi al-Ameri who’s Fateh coalition of militia groups has the second-largest number of seats in Iraq’s parliament.

„We reject this action from America and say we have honor to be in the Islamic resistance that fought and beat terrorism,“ a spokesman for the wider Fateh coalition said.

Some of the militia groups themselves are designated as terrorist organizations by Washington.

Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi said on Tuesday that Washington’s decision to designate the IRGC a terrorist group could harm his country and the wider region.

Iraqi security forces declared victory over Islamic State in 2017 with help from a U.S.-led coalition and Iran-backed Shi’ite militias, some of which fought U.S. troops earlier following the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

Israelis Shoot and Kill Outside the Temple Walls (Revelation 11:2)

Israeli forces shoot 66 Palestinians at Gaza protest, killing 15-year-old boy

FeaturesIsrael/Palestine

Kate on

Gaza

Updated: “Army kills a child, injures at least thirty Palestinians in Gaza”
IMEMC 12 Apr — Israeli soldiers attacked, on Friday evening, the weekly Great March Processions in the besieged Gaza Strip, killing one child, and injuring at least 55 others, including one who suffered serious wounds, and two medics. The Palestinian Health Ministry has reported that the soldiers shot a child, identified as Maisara Mousa Ali Abu Shallouf, 15, shooting him with live fire in the abdomen, east of Jabalia, in the northern part of the Gaza Strip. The soldiers also fired live rounds and gas bombs at medics trying to reach the child to provide him with the urgently needed medical help, before he succumbed to his wounds. Dr. Ashraf al-Qedra, the spokesperson of the Health Ministry In Gaza, said the soldiers shot 66 Palestinians, including 15 children and six women, in addition to two medics. It added that one of the wounded Palestinians suffered life-threatening wounds. The Health Ministry also stated that the soldiers shot two medics and caused others to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation. The protests took place in five areas in the eastern parts of the Gaza Strip, from Beit Lahia, Beit Hanoun and Jabalia, in the northern part, to Gaza city and central Gaza, in addition to Khan Younis and Rafah, in the southern part of the coastal region. Media sources in Gaza said the army used high-velocity gas bombs, and live fire, targeting many areas far away from the perimeter fence. They added that the soldiers also targeted several ambulances, medics and journalists, with sniper fire, in addition to the high-velocity gas bombs. The protests this week were also in support and solidarity with the hunger striking detainees in Israeli prisons, facing constant violations and denied basic rights.
https://imemc.org/article/army-kills-a-child-injures-at-least-thirty-palestinians-in-gaza/

Russia’s Fatal Nuclear Horn (Daniel 7:7)

Russia’s Most Powerful Nuclear Missile Is in Final Testing Stage and These Other Weapons Are Also On Their Way

World International Affairs

Russia’s most powerful nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile has been undergoing its final stage of testing, with other advanced weapons on the way and some already in service.

At a promotion and award ceremony for senior officers on Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed recent achievements of his military, especially in forwarding ambitious plans to develop weapons said to be capable of overcoming existing and even prospective defense systems. He then revealed some of the latest progress for these „modern powerful precision weapons that are determining and will determine in the future the image of Russia’s armed forces.“

The Avangard missile system with a boost-glide vehicle—our hypersonic intercontinental system—will considerably enhance the power of the Strategic Missile Forces. The final tests involving the Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile have been a success,“ Putin told those in attendance. „As you may know, the Kinzhal hypersonic system and the Peresvet laser system have been put on alert duty.

„The navy’s new surface ships and nuclear submarines will be armed with advanced types of weapons, including the Tsirkon hypersonic missile, which has no parallels in the world in terms of range and speed,“ he added.

Russia tests the RS-28 Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile, a weapon with a projected range of 6,800 miles and said capable of delivering multiple nuclear warheads over either the North or South Pole, March 30, 2018. Russian Ministry of Defense

Putin unveiled a number of these weapons, along with other state-of-the-art projects like the underwater Poseidon drone and the 9M730 Burevestnik nuclear-powered cruise missile, during his March 2018 State of the Nation address. In the year since, the Russian military has conducted testing on all of these weapons, with varying degrees of progress.

Among the most highly speculated was the RS-28 Sarmat, previously nicknamed „Satan 2“ by the U.S.-led NATO Western military alliance. Putin claimed the weapon „has practically no range restrictions“ and „is untroubled by even the most advanced missile defense systems“ during his 2018 speech and stated in his February 2019 State of the Nation remarks that it was „undergoing a series of tests.“

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu later told reporters that the Sarmat had reached „the next stage of testing.“ Shortly after Putin described the Avangard—a weapon that Moscow has claimed could travel up to 20 times the speed of sound—as an „answer“ to U.S. aspirations for a global missile shield, Shoigu announced that the weapons system capable of being fitted to the Sarmat would be „combat alert“ by December.

Just one month earlier, President Donald Trump had unveiled his 2019 Missile Defense Review vowing to „detect and destroy any missile launched against the United States anywhere, anytime.“ The Republican leader’s report specifically cited the threat of Russia and China’s development of hypersonic and cruise missile technology in his case for establishing ambitious new measures such as space-based interceptors that Moscow and Bejing have warned may spark an „arms race.“

image-5082767 An unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile launches during a developmental test at Vandenberg Air Force Base, in California, on February 5. President Donald Trump has vowed to “detect and destroy any missile launched against the United States anywhere, anytime” as part of his 2019 Missile Defense Review. SENIOR AIRMAN CLAYTON WEAR/U.S. AIR FORCE/DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Also raising concerns was the collapse of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty in February. The U.S. accused Russia of violating the 1987 agreement banning land-based missiles ranging from 310 to 3,420 miles with the deployment of the Novator 9M729 missile. Moscow has denied the weapon goes against the pact and has charged Washington with breaking the INF terms through its installment in Eastern Europe of missile defenses that Russian officials have argued could be used to attack as well.

The debate has overshadowed attempts to launch negotiations toward extending another the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START). Russia has argued that the U.S. showed little interest in discussing the agreement—which has limits the amount of deployed and non-deployed nuclear warheads as well as carriers—and has accused its counterparts in Washington of potentially manipulating their nuclear reporting figures.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday that, though „there are some arguments on the edges each, but largely [the Russians] have been compliant“ with the treaty due to expire in 2021.

„Both the Russians and the United States have been compliant,“ he added. „We’re at the very beginning of conversations about renewing that. If we can get the deal right, if we can make sure it fits 2021 and beyond, President Trump has made very clear that if we can get a good solid arms control agreement, we ought to get one.“