Why New York City Will Be Shut Down At The Sixth Seal

Indian Point tritium leak 80% worse than originally reported

Published time: 10 Feb, 2016 22:12Edited time: 11 Feb, 2016 01:51

New measurements at the Indian Point nuclear power plant in upstate New York show levels of radioactive tritium 80 percent higher than reported last week. Plant operator insists the spill is not dangerous, as state officials call for a safety probe.

Entergy, which operates the facility 25 miles (40 km) north of New York City, says the increased levels of tritium represent “fluctuations that can be expected as the material migrates.”

“Even with the new readings, there is no impact to public health or safety, and although these values remain less than one-tenth of one percent of federal reporting guidelines,” Entergy said in a statement.

New York governor Andrew Cuomo raised an alarm last Saturday over the reports of groundwater contamination at Indian Point, noting that the company reported “alarming levels of radioactivity” at three monitoring wells, with “radioactivity increasing nearly 65,000 percent” at one of them.

The groundwater wells have no contact with any drinking water supplies, and the spill will dissipate before it reaches the Hudson River, a senior Entergy executive argued Tuesday, suggesting the increased state scrutiny was driven by the company’s decision to shut down another nuclear power plant.

“There are a number of stakeholders, including the governor, who do not like the fact that we are having to close Fitzpatrick,” Michael Twomey, Entergy’s vice president of external affairs, said during an appearance on ‘The Capitol Pressroom,’ a show on WCNY public radio.

The James A. Fitzpatrick plant is located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, near Oswego, New York. Entergy said it intended to close the plant once it runs out of fuel sometime this year, citing its continued operations as unprofitable.

Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant on the Hudson river © wikipedia.org

‘65,000% radioactivity spike’: New York Gov. orders probe into water leak at Indian Point

“We’re not satisfied with this event. This was not up to our expectations,” Twomey said, adding that the Indian Point spill should be seen in context.

Though it has never reported a reactor problem, the Indian Point facility has been plagued by issues with transformers, cooling systems, and other electrical components over the years. It currently operates two reactors, both brought on-line in the 1970s.

In December, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission allowed Entergy to continue operating the reactors, pending license renewal. The facility’s initial 40-year license was set to expire on December 12, but the regulators are reportedly leaning towards recommending a 20-year extension.

By contrast, Reactor 4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat, Ukraine was only three years old when it exploded in April 1986. To this day, an area of 1000 square miles around the power plant remains the “exclusion zone,” where human habitation is prohibited.

The tritium leak at Indian Point most likely took place in January, during the preparations to shut down Reactor 2 for refueling, according to Entergy. Water containing high levels of the hydrogen isotope reportedly overfilled the drains and spilled into the ground.

According to Entergy, tritium is a “low hazard radionuclide” because it emits low-energy beta particles, which do not penetrate the skin. “People could be harmed by tritium only through internal exposure caused by drinking water with high levels of tritium over many years,” an Entergy fact sheet says.

Environmentalist critics are not convinced, however.

“This plant isn’t safe anymore,” Paul Gallay, president of environmental watchdog group

Riverkeeper, told the New York Daily News. “Everybody knows it and only Entergy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission refuse to admit it.”

Iran Prepares to Destroy Israel (Daniel 8:4)

Image result for iran militaryIran Inches Closer to its Goal: “Wipe Israel Off the Map”

Iran’s military activities and clear public threats to annihilate Israel continue to grow in frequency and intensity. These moves not only instill fear, as they are doubtless meant to do; they also threaten to disrupt the international community. With such dire promises of conflict, it would be expected that the international news media and politicians throughout the world would have something to say about this situation. Instead, Iran’s continued abusive behavior continues to be cozied up to at worst, or at best, ignored.

One of the core pillars and revolutionary ideals of the Islamic Republic is destroying the Jewish state. It is also one of the religious prophecies of the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, and his successor, the current Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, that Israel will be eventually erased from the face of the earth. As Iran’s theocratic establishment believes that the Supreme Leader is Allah’s representative on earth, whatever words or desires the Supreme Leader utters are considered wishes, which must be brought to life by Allah’s true believers.

While they progress toward destroying Israel, not only do Iranian leaders believe that they are inching closer to fulfilling a religious prophecy, they also see that they are gaining strategic and geopolitical victories — in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Lebanon and in the Gaza Strip. The Deputy Commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Hossein Salami, recently threatened on Iran’s Channel 2 TV that Israel is “vulnerable and bringing itself closer to death”.

Salami recently made it vehemently clear the strategy of the Iranian government, stating:

“Our strategy is to erase Israel from the global political map. And, it seems that, considering the evil that Israel is doing, it is bringing itself closer to that.”

In addition, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei recently posted a Twitter tirade against Israel. It stated that the, “the Zionist regime will perish in the not so far future.”

This burst of confidence is bolstered by Iran’s military buildup in Syria, among other places. The Syrian civil war has been viewed as a perfect environment for the Iranian leaders to advance and ultimately achieve their objective of destroying Israel. Iran has built, or is in the process of building, more than 10 military bases in Syria, some of which are near the Israeli border. Tehran has used this strategic position in Syria to fire rockets into Israel.

While many of the world leaders disregard Iran’s evident intentions to destroy Israel, they always seems extremely quick to criticize Israel for actually defending the safety of its citizens. After Iran’s unprovoked attacks on Israel and its military build-up in Syria were dismissed by the international community, Israel had no choice but to carry out its own strikes against the Iranian military bases and infrastructure that were threatening their country.

Unfortunately, some news outlets and politicians have been attempting to create a narrative to lead people to believe that the Iranian leaders’ threats are just talk. Iran’s leaders, however, continue to demonstrate their intentions not only with verbal threats, but with military actions as well. Since 1979, Iran has authorized firing rockets and missiles into Israel, and have also used proxies, such as Hamas and Hezbollah, to attack Israel viciously. Iran appears to have Israel solidly in its cross-hairs.

Apparently in a rush to provide cover for Iran, some world leaders have also, for years, been attempting to tell the public that there is a difference between “moderate” Iranian politicians and the hardliners. Unfortunately, that distinction is make-believe. Iran’s current president, Hassan Rouhani, like the previous president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has called Israel a “cancerous tumor.” Iranian politicians across the political spectrum (hardliners or “moderates”) all agree on one thing: destroy Israel.

The Prime Minister of Hungary, Victor Orbán, previously pointed out the duplicity with which Israel is treated:

“The EU should value the efforts made by the state of Israel for stability in the region. This is of interest not only for Israel but for Europe, too, as it protects us from more and more migrant invasions… The EU’s relations with Israel are not rational enough and need to be repaired. Instead of criticizing Israel, we should open the door to cooperation with Israel.”

It is mind-boggling that some politicians and governments, including the EU, criticize Israel for its Middle East policy and then turn a blind eye to Iran’s military buildup near Israel’s border — all while Iran fires missiles and rockets into Israel from Syria, ships ballistic missiles to Israel’s self-declared enemy, Hezbollah, and continues to threaten to annihilate Israel in the near future.

When will the international community begin to take the Iranian government’s clear verbal threats and physical aggression seriously? Or would the international community secretly like to see Israel destroyed, under Europe’s Orwellian inversion of the words: “the peace process”?

(Gatestone Institute)

Dr. Majid Rafizadeh is a business strategist and advisor, Harvard-educated scholar, political scientist, board member of Harvard International Review, and president of the International American Council on the Middle East. He has authored several books on Islam and US Foreign Policy. He can be reached at Dr.Rafizadeh@Post.Harvard.Edu

Another Malfunction Before the Sixth Seal (Revelation 6:12)

Indian Point totally shut down since Friday while workers address malfunction at Unit 2

THOMAS C. ZAMBITO | ROCKLAND/WESTCHESTER JOURNAL NEWS | 2:31 pm EDT March 18, 2019

• Indian Point’s Unit 2 shut down Friday after a malfunction in an electric generator

• Unit 3 was already shutdown for its last refueling before it shuts down in 2021

• This is the first time in recent years that both reactors have been down at the same time

Indian Point has failed to generate power in three days, following a malfunction in one of the nuclear plant’s reactors Friday that forced a shutdown, the Journal News and lohud.com has learned.

Federal safety regulators say Unit 2’s unexpected shutdown was caused by a malfunction in an electric generator.

This is not the first time both reactors were without power at the same time but it is the first time in recent years.

The Indian Point Energy Center nuclear power plant in Buchanan

PETER CARR/THE JOURNAL NEWS

The shutdown, also called a scram, occurred while Unit 2’s sister reactor, Unit 3, had already been powered down for its 20th and final refueling before it shuts off for good in April 2021.

State officials say the shutdowns have not impacted the state’s power supply.

Work to replace the fuel rods at Indian Point 3 as well as the replacement, refurbishment and testing of equipment is underway as part of routine maintenance of the nuclear reactor in Buchanan on Mar. 20, 2017.

RICKY FLORES/THE JOURNAL NEWS

Indian Point’s owner, Entergy, alerted the state Department of Public Service about the situation and the department is monitoring the issue. 

“At this time, the Department does not have any concerns about the facility’s safety,” spokesman James Denn said. “There is also no impact on the reliability of New York’s power system.”

The reactors generate electricity for homes, businesses and public facilities in Westchester County and New York City

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s resident inspectors for Indian Point were summoned to Unit 2’s control room around 3 p.m., Friday, after being alerted that there had been a shutdown.

No immediate safety concerns were identified. Indian Point’s owner, Entergy, was trying to fix the problem Monday.

 “Entergy is troubleshooting the exact cause of the scram, which may have been caused by a fault in the main electric generator,” NRC spokesman Neil Sheehan said. “Our Resident Inspectors will continue to follow up on those assessments.”

Unit 3 was shut down twice in September following a water leak in a backup cooling system and a steam leak discovered on the non-nuclear side of the building. Entergy said neither leak led to a release of radiation and public safety was never threatened.

Unit 3 was shut down March 11 as workers began removing spent fuel so they could begin adding enough fuel to power the reactor through 2021.

Refuelings or outages take place every two years in March, a time of year when electricity demand is at its lowest, ahead of the summer months when air conditioners run around the clock.

Entergy invested $70 million in the effort, which brings some 900 out-of-state workers into the lower Hudson Valley for several weeks while they assist Entergy’s 1,000-person workforce at the Buchanan plant.

In addition to replacing fuel, workers will replace pumps and motors and perform maintenance on diesel generators.

In January 2017, Entergy announced its intention to close, citing market pressures caused by the low price of natural gas as well as protracted litigation with the state of New York.  Unit 2 will be shut down next year.

The shutdown is expected to have a lingering impact on Buchanan, the town of Cortlandt and the Hendrick Hudson School District, which rely heavily on the plant’s property tax revenues to balance their budgets from year to year.

Tony Vitale, an Entergy vice president and the company’s top-ranking executive at Indian Point, said the company continues to invest in plant safety and reliability.

“Our dedicated employees, whether they have worked at the site for four years or 40 years, are focused on making the last refueling our best ever,” Vitale said. “The nearly 60-year history of safe and reliable operations at the site is our legacy.”

Iran Refuses to Save the Oil and the Wine (Revelation 6)

Iran will boost defence capabilities despite U.S. pressure – Khamenei | Reuters

DUBAI (Reuters) – Iran is determined to boost its defence capabilities despite mounting pressure from the United States and its allies to curb its ballistic missile programme, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Thursday.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei waves his hand, as he delivers a speech on the first day of Persian New Year, also known as Nowruz in Mashhad, northeast of Tehran, Iran March 21, 2019. Khamenei.ir/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES.

“We need to take Iran to a point that enemy understand that they cannot threaten Iran … America’s sanctions will make Iran self-sufficient,” Khamenei said in a speech broadcast live on state TV.

President Donald Trump withdrew the United States last May from a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and six major powers, saying it gave too much away to Iran, and reimposed far-reaching U.S. sanctions.

The U.S. sanctions aim to force Iran to accept tougher restrictions on its nuclear work, drop its ballistic missile programme and scale back support for militant proxies in Middle East conflicts from Yemen to Syria.

Iran says its missile programme is purely defensive and has rejected the curbs on it demanded by the United States. Tehran says it has missiles with a range of up to 2,000 km (1,250 miles), which puts Israel and U.S. military bases in the region within reach.

The other signatories to the nuclear deal – Germany, France, Britain, the European Union, Russia and China – have remained committed to the agreement and have been trying to salvage the pact by a mechanism to circumvent Trump’s sanctions.

Khamenei, a hardliner who has the ultimate say on all major foreign and domestic policy in the Islamic Republic, said the European signatories of the deal had failed to maintain Iran’s economic interests.

NZ FM heads to Turkey over Erdogan mosque remarks

“They have always stabbed Iran in the back … The Western countries have proved they cannot be trusted,” he said in the speech in the holy Shi’ite city of Mashhad.

Iranian leaders have threatened to exit the nuclear deal unless the European powers enable Tehran to receive economic benefits.

“This mechanism set by the Europeans is like a bitter joke,” Khamenei said, referring to a channel opened by the European signatories of the deal for non-dollar trade with Iran to get around the U.S. sanction.

Writing by Parisa Hafezi; Editing by Frances Kerry and Toby Chopra

The Elusive and Ubiquitous Antichrist

Speculation Rife on Muqtada Sadr’s Whereabouts

The whereabouts of Sadrist Movement leader Muqtada al-Sadr has been keeping Iraqis busy amid claims that he has been ill or has been infuriated by the country’s political situation.

The Shiite cleric’s last tweet was posted on his account more than three months ago.

Last month, unofficial reports said Sadr visited Beirut, where he met with Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah and commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard General Qassem Suleimani.

At the time, the cleric’s office neither confirmed nor denied the news. It hasn’t even issued a statement justifying Sadr’s absence from Iraq’s political scene.

Some observers said Sadr has fallen ill, while others claimed the Shiite cleric has been “angered” by the country’s political developments, mainly the failure to finalize the government formation process.

Bahaa Al Araji, a member of the Sadrist Movement and a former deputy Prime Minister, made a statement on Monday night, prompting a response from Sadr’s spokesman.

Araji denied Sadr was sick, blaming the political crisis on the cleric’s decision not to make any statements or be seen in public.

The cleric would soon make an initiative to change the “political equation,” including a possible dismissal of Prime Minister Adel Abdul Hadi’s government and the nomination of former PM Haider Abadi, Araji said.

Speculation about Sadr’s whereabouts has become more intense by the sudden appearance of former deputy Jaafar Mohammed Baqir al-Sadr, the cousin of Muqtada.

Jaafar had been absent from the political scene since his resignation from Parliament in 2011.

But lately, Jaafar has held a series of meetings with a number of politicians, including Abdul Hadi, Abadi, Speaker Mohammed Halbousi and head of the Hikmat Movement Ammar al-Hakim.

Jaafar is expected to meet Thursday with Iraq’s top Shiite cleric, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf.

On Tuesday, Muqtada al-Sadr’s spokesman Sheikh Salah al-Obeidi refused to comment on Jaafar’s latest meetings.

For its part, the Nasr Coalition, led by Abadi, denied any intentions to oust Abdul Hadi.