Israeli Soldiers Shoot Three More Outside the Temple Walls (Rev 11:2)

Israeli Soldiers Shoot Three Palestinians In Northern Gaza

March 3, 2019 10:46 PM IMEMC News Gaza Strip, Israeli attacks, Jabalia, News Report, Refugees/Immigration
Israeli soldiers shot, on Sunday evening, three Palestinians east of Jabalia, in the northern part of the besieged and improvised Gaza Strip.Media sources said the soldiers opened fire at several youngsters, on Palestinian lands close to the perimeter fence.

The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza has reported that the three suffered moderate wounds, and were rushed to the Indonesian Hospital, in Beit Lahia.

In addition, Israeli daily Haaretz quoted the Israeli army claiming that fired a missile at a “Hamas outpost, after an explosive device was thrown over the border fence, in northern Gaza.”

On Saturday evening, Israeli drones fired two missiles into a site near the perimeter fence, in the eastern area of Central Gaza.

On Friday, the 49th week of Great March of Return and Breaking Siege on Gaza, the army injured 83 Palestinian civilians, including 23 children and one woman, in addition to three Paramedics, and one journalist.

The Nuclear Meltdown at the Sixth Seal (Revelation 6:12)

NYS agencies urge more scrutiny of Algonquin pipeline at Indian Point

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon, Rockland/Westchester Journal News

A group of residents opposed to the Algonquin gas pipeline project meet at Somers Intermediate School Monday, Dec. 4, 2017. Peter Carr/The Journal News

State asks Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for more steps ‘to minimize risk and protect public safety’ near the Buchanan plant

Several New York state agencies are urging the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to institute additional safety measures on the Algonquin Pipeline portions near the Indian Point nuclear reactor.

In a letter to the commission, officials from the state health, public safety, environmental conservation and homeland security agencies called for “additional scrutiny and monitoring” to minimize risks near the Buchanan plant.

“While the probability of pipeline incidents is low, the proximity to the Indian Point nuclear plant makes the potential consequences of such an event very significant,” the state agencies said in a joint statement. “Additional scrutiny and monitoring to better understand and reduce risks associated with the Algonquin pipelines is warranted.”

Pipeline owner Enbridge is in the midst of expanding the half-century old natural gas pipeline from Pennsylvania, through Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties, and north into New England.

Buy

Activists gathered in front of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s house in New Castle on Sunday to raise concerns about the Algonquin Pipeline project and other environmental issues. (Photo: Kurt Beebe for The Journal News)

Work done so far includes a new section through Stony Point, under the Hudson River, into Verplanck and near the Indian Point Energy Center.

The plan has sparked protests throughout the pipe’s path.

On Friday, the state agencies asked the federal commission for additional safety measures near the Indian Point property, including:

• Ensure that Enbridge will not be allowed to send additional natural gas at higher pressure through the pipeline to meet high demand for gas in the Northeast.

A map of the Algonquin pipeline expansion project (Photo: Courtesy Spectra Energy)• Require regular testing to ensure that valves on 26-inch, 30-inch and 42-inch pipelines near Indian Point can be closed remotely within three minutes of an event.

• The commission should work with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to examine Entergy Corp.’s decommission plan for Indian Point “to determine potential impacts to the original Algonquin pipelines.”

Israel’s War Crimes Outside the Temple Walls (Revelation 11)

UN says Israel’s killings at Gaza protests may amount to war crimes

Inquiry accuses army of killing demonstrators ‘who were not posing an imminent threat’

Oliver Holmes in Jerusalem

Thu 28 Feb 2019 06.37 EST

Last modified on Thu 28 Feb 2019 15.45 EST

UN investigators have accused Israeli soldiers of intentionally firing on civilians and said they may have committed war crimes in their lethal response to Palestinian demonstrations in Gaza.

The independent Commission of Inquiry, set up last year by the UN’s human rights council, said Israeli forces killed 189 people and shot more than 6,100 others with live ammunition near the fence that divides the two territories.

The panel said in a statement that it had found “reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognisable as such”.

Thirty-five of those killed were children, three were clearly identifiable paramedics and two were clearly marked journalists, the report said.

Israel dismissed the report as “hostile, mendacious and slanted”.

The panel acknowledged “acts of significant violence” from the demonstrators, who threw stones, molotov cocktails and in several cases explosives at the fence and Israeli troops behind it.

It made clear, however, that such actions did not amount to combat or military campaigns, rejecting an Israeli claim of “terror activities” by Palestinian armed groups. “The demonstrations were civilian in nature, with clearly stated political aims,” it said.

Investigators also said there were reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli troops had killed and injured Palestinians “who were neither directly participating in hostilities, nor posing an imminent threat.”

They said: “These serious human rights and humanitarian law violations may constitute war crimes or crimes against humanity.”

Weekly protests have been held at the frontier between Israel and the Gaza Strip since March last year, calling for the easing of an Israeli blockade on people and goods. Rallies have also demanded recognition of the right of Palestinian refugees in Gaza and elsewhere to return to their ancestral homes in Israel.

Israel’s army has said its forces opened fire to protect against attacks and incursions. Four of its troops have been injured during the protests, and one soldier was killed by a bullet fired from Gaza.

The UN inquiry also found fault with the protest organisers, which include Gaza’s rulers, Hamas, for allowing the use of kites and balloons carrying cans of flaming petrol that have floated into Israel during rallies and torched fields.

Those acts caused fear among civilians and significant damage to property in southern Israel, the panel said.

The demonstrations continue, but the inquiry only investigated possible violations from the start of the protests on 30 March to the end of 2018Two . It conducted 325 interviews with victims and witnesses, it said, and analysed social media and audio-visual material, including drone footage.

Israeli authorities did not respond to repeated requests for information and access, the panel said.

Yisrael Katz, Israel’s acting foreign minister, said on Thursday that the investigation was “another hostile, mendacious and slanted report against the State of Israel”.

“No one can deny Israel the right of self-defence and the obligation to defend its citizens and borders from violent attacks,” he said.

A fuller report will be presented to the human rights council in Geneva on 18 March.

More Shelling in Kashmir before the First Nuclear War (Revelation 8)


Indian and Pakistani soldiers have again targeted each other’s posts and villages along their volatile frontier in disputed Kashmir, killing at least six civilians and two Pakistani troops, officials said Saturday.

But in a sign that tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals could soon ease, a Pakistani Cabinet minister said a key train service between Pakistan and neighboring India would resume on Monday.

Tensions have been running high since Indian aircraft crossed into Pakistan this past Tuesday, carrying out what India called a pre-emptive strike against militants blamed for a Feb. 14 suicide bombing in Indian-controlled Kashmir that killed 40 Indian troops. Pakistan retaliated, shooting down a fighter jet Wednesday and detaining its pilot, who was returned to India on Friday in a peace gesture.

Fighting resumed overnight Friday. Pakistan’s military said two of its soldiers were killed in an exchange of fire with Indian forces near the Line of Control that separates Kashmir between the rivals. It marked the first fatalities for Pakistani troops since Wednesday, when tensions dramatically escalated between the nuclear-armed countries over Kashmir, which is split between them but claimed by both in its entirety.

Indian police, meanwhile, said two siblings and their mother were killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir. The three died after a shell fired by Pakistani soldiers hit their home in the Poonch region near the Line of Control. The children’s father was critically wounded.

In Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, government official Umar Azam said Indian troops with heavy weapons “indiscriminately targeted border villagers” along the Line of Control, killing a boy and wounding three other people. He said several homes were destroyed by Indian shelling.

Following a lull lasting a few hours, shelling and firing of small arms resumed Saturday. A Pakistani military statement said two civilians were killed and two others wounded in the fresh fighting. The Indian army said Pakistani troops attacked Indian posts at several places along the militarized line.

Since tensions escalated following last month’s suicide attack, world leaders have scrambled to head off an all-out war between India and Pakistan. The rivals have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir since their independence from British rule in 1947.

Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said Saturday that Russia had offered to serve as a mediator to ease tensions. He said Pakistan was ready to accept the offer, but he did not know whether India would agree as well.

‘Homeless in our own land’

Qureshi also said a top Saudi diplomat would soon visit Pakistan and India. Pakistani officials said China is expected to send an envoy to Pakistan and India this coming week.

The current violence marks the most serious escalation of the long-simmering conflict since 1999, when Pakistan’s military sent a ground force into Indian-controlled Kashmir. That year also saw an Indian fighter jet shoot down a Pakistani naval aircraft, killing all 16 on board.

The latest wave of tensions began after the militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad claimed responsibility for the Feb. 14 suicide bombing by a Kashmiri militant on Indian paramilitary forces. India has long accused Pakistan of cultivating such militant groups to attack it. Pakistan has denied any involvement in the suicide attack.

Pakistan’s minister for railways, Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, told reporters Saturday that the Samjhauta Express train service linking the Pakistani city of Lahore with the Indian border town of Atari would resume on Monday. The service was suspended by Pakistani authorities this past week.

Thousands of people on both sides of Kashmir have fled to government-run temporary shelters or relatives’ homes in safer areas to escape shelling along the frontier, which is marked by razor wire, watch towers and bunkers amid tangled bushes, forests and fields of rice and corn.

“These battles are fought on our bodies, in our homes and fields, and we still don’t have anything in our hands. We are at the mercy of these soldiers,” said Mohammed Akram, a resident in the Mendhar area in Indian-controlled Kashmir.

Sakina, a young woman who fled to a shelter with her two children, said the frequent shelling had made them “homeless in our own land.”

In Pakistani-administered Kashmir, many displaced families urged the international community to help resolve the issue of Kashmir so that they can live peacefully.

“Whenever India fires mortars, it’s we who suffer,” said Mohammad Latif, a laborer who took refuge at a government building that was vacated for sheltering displaced families.

“I don’t care whether the Indian pilot is gone or not, I don’t care who released him and why, but I want to know whether peace will return to us after his return to India,” said Mohammad Sadiq, a shopkeeper who also was among the displaced. He said the latest tensions between Pakistan and India rose so suddenly that some people sold their sheep, cows and buffaloes at throwaway prices in his native Chikothi town.

“We did not know whether we will get any shelter and how could we take our animals” with us, he said.

Meanwhile, Indian police said two paramilitary soldiers and two counterinsurgency police officials were killed in a gunbattle with militants in Indian-controlled Kashmir, while troops fatally shot a civilian during anti-India protests.

Rebel groups have been fighting Indian rule since 1989 and demand that Kashmir be united either under Pakistani rule or as an independent country.

(AP)

The New Nuclear Cold War (Rev 8:8)

A Russian military officer walks past the 9M729 land-based cruise missile on display with its launcherWhy the collapse of a historic nuclear treaty could lead to a Cold War-like arms race

Posted

The United States and Russia have ripped up a Cold War-era nuclear missile treaty, leaving analysts fearing a potential arms race with global ramifications.

Key points:

  • The landmark INF treaty was integral to ending the Cold War
  • Short and intermediate range missiles were banned because of the short flight time
  • Analyst say it’s unlikely to be renegotiated within the six-month notice period

Last week, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia was ready for a Cuban Missile-style crisis if the US wanted one, referring to the 1962 standoff that brought the world to the edge of nuclear war.

Decades later, tensions between the two nations are heating up again.

Mr Putin warned that Moscow would retaliate if the US placed new missiles closer to Russia, telling local media that Moscow could deploy hypersonic missiles on ships and submarines outside US territorial waters.

The comments were made after the Trump administration announced it would officially abandon a historic nuclear pact that had kept nuclear missiles out of Europe for three decades.

Here’s a look at what the treaty is, what may come next, and why analysts believe its demise could lead to a 21st-century arms race.

What is the INF treaty?

The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) bans the US and the Russian Federation, previously the Soviet Union, from developing, testing and possessing short- and intermediate-range missiles that could be launched from the ground, as opposed to the sea or sky.

The treaty — signed by former US president Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in December 1987 — declared that “nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought” and took seven years to negotiate.

Both sides agreed to destroy a total of 2,692 short-, medium- and intermediate-range missiles with a range between 500 and 5,500 kilometres that were stationed in, or aimed at Europe.

The treaty is credited with helping to ending the Cold War.

Maria Rublee, a former US intelligence officer and nuclear politics expert at Monash University, told the ABC these missiles were seen as a “hair trigger for nuclear war” due to how quickly they could strike a target.

“The flight times on these missiles could be as short as 10 minutes to launch nuclear destruction,” she said.

“You don’t have time to talk, to pick up the phone, the red hotline, to say what’s going on and ask if this is a mistake.”

Washington and its North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) allies claim Moscow has been violating the terms of the treaty by developing missiles within the range for years, but Russia has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Earlier this month the Trump administration declared it would suspend US obligations under the treaty, with the intention of withdrawing because of Russia’s alleged non-compliance.

The day after the announcement, Russia also said it would withdraw from the treaty, and accused the US of fabricating the allegations so it could develop new missiles.

Can the INF treaty be revived?

The treaty is not dead just yet — both parties must give six months notice before they can officially withdraw — but Dr Rublee said the chances of the treaty being revived were low, although there was some hope.

“[The first step] is not going to come from the Trump administration and it’s not going to come from Russia,” she said.

“It would need to come from NATO because the countries most at risk are European countries.”

Dr Rublee said the bilateral framework for arms control between the two nations began to deteriorate when former US president George W Bush pulled out of the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2001.

“There are some sincere Russian concerns that the US will be able to use its launchers for missiles, but the US were not in violation of the INF treaty,” she said.

Another critical arms control agreement is the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), which limits the number of US and Russian nuclear warheads.

That treaty was signed in 2011 and is set to expire next year.

While many analysts agree that Moscow is adhering to this treaty, there are fears it may not be extended, prompting Mr Putin to issue a warning about the rising threat of nuclear war.

What might happen next?

Dr Rublee said an arms race could be on the horizon if there was no diplomatic way around the issue of rectifying the treaty.

“It’s very dangerous if we suddenly have a proliferation of these short- and medium-range missiles,” she said, adding that both sides have claimed they are ready to get started on the development of these weapons.

“Russia said they’re going to start producing missiles that fit into the range and the US has also authorised funds for research and development for intermediate range missiles.”

According to Ramesh Thakur, director of the Centre for Nuclear Non-Proliferation at the Australian National University, NATO stands to lose more than Russia by the US pulling out of the treaty.

“Russia will be able to move ahead rapidly with the development and deployment of short- and medium-range ground-launched nuclear-capable missiles,” he wrote in an article on The Conversation.

“But, unlike in the 1980s, the US would face difficulty in finding allies in Europe prepared to station such missiles on their territory.”

The missiles, which are banned under the INF treaty, cannot be launched from US territory and would need countries to host them.

Both the US and Russia are also driven by concerns about China and other nuclear states that are not bound by the treaty.

While Washington is currently not worried about Beijing’s intermediate-range missiles, if the US started to become belligerent “it’s going to force China into producing nuclear missiles”, according to Dr Rublee.

If that tension escalated, the US would be “knocking on allies’ doors asking to host their missiles”, Dr Rublee said, adding that the longest standing ally in the Pacific is Australia, which was unlikely to do so.

“That would make Australia a target of Chinese nuclear missiles. So this could really end up causing a lot of strife between the US and Australia,” she said.

Dr Rublee said nuclear weapons were like an expensive “noose around your neck” — countries with nuclear weapons will say they are integral to national security, but non-nuclear countries might disagree.

“They take away from conventional military forces in terms of funding, personnel, intellectual energy, research and development, and we’ve had countries which have succeeded quite well without them,” she said.

“But if you’re caught up in that game with them it’s very hard to get rid of them.”

ABC/Reuters