History Says Expect The Sixth Seal In New York (Revelation 6:12)

History Says New York Is Earthquake Prone

If the past is any indication, New York can be hit by an earthquake, claims John Armbruster, a seismologist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

Based on historical precedent, Armbruster says the New York City metro area is susceptible to an earthquake of at least a magnitude of 5.0 once a century.

According to the New York Daily News, Lynn Skyes, lead author of a recent study by seismologists at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory adds that a magnitude-6 quake hits the area about every 670 years, and magnitude-7 every 3,400 years.

A 5.2-magnitude quake shook New York City in 1737 and another of the same severity hit in 1884.

Tremors were felt from Maine to Virginia.

There are several fault lines in the metro area, including one along Manhattan’s 125th St. – which may have generated two small tremors in 1981 and may have been the source of the major 1737 earthquake, says Armbruster.

There’s another fault line on Dyckman St. and one in Dobbs Ferry in nearby Westchester County.

“The problem here comes from many subtle faults,” explained Skyes after the study was published.

He adds: “We now see there is earthquake activity on them. Each one is small, but when you add them up, they are probably more dangerous than we thought.”

“Considering population density and the condition of the region’s infrastructure and building stock, it is clear that even a moderate earthquake would have considerable consequences in terms of public safety and economic impact,” says the New York City Area Consortium for Earthquake Loss Mitigation on its website.

Armbruster says a 5.0-magnitude earthquake today likely would result in casualties and hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

“I would expect some people to be killed,” he notes.

The scope and scale of damage would multiply exponentially with each additional tick on the Richter scale. (ANI)

The Iran Horn Continues to Grow

Iran’s Quest for Nuclear Weapons Continues Apace

JAN. 8 2019

In December, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that the Islamic Republic had tested a ballistic missile that could easily be equipped with a nuclear warhead. Last week, Pompeo warned Tehran to refrain from launching satellites with certain types of rockets since these use the same technology employed in ballistic missiles. Farzin Nadimi puts these remarks in context:

The [description of the missiles as given by Pompeo] in December match those of the Khoramshahr, a relatively new medium-range ballistic missile unveiled in September 2017 and test-fired on at least three occasions. . . . The Khoramshahr can reportedly carry a far heavier payload than would be required for a weapon whose purpose is pinpoint accuracy—its claimed 1,800-kilogram warhead would make it the largest in Iran’s arsenal. One possibility is that this extra capacity is designed to carry multiple warheads. . . . If Iran has in fact successfully tested such a capability for the first time, it would be an alarming milestone, since multiple warheads have a better chance of defeating missile defenses.

The Khoramshahr’s large payload would also make the job of mating it with a first-generation nuclear warhead relatively easy, at least in theory. One rule of thumb among experts is that any missile capable of carrying a 500–1,000-kilogram warhead can be mounted with a nuclear device. Khoramshahr reportedly offers twice that capacity—a troubling figure given the fact that miniaturizing a warhead is arguably one of the most daunting tasks in nuclear-weapons design.

[T]he international community should not forget that the [ballistic-missile] program remains a central pillar of Iran’s strategy for dominating the region. Although Tehran became less public about its missile advancements following the [2015] nuclear deal, there has been no substantive halt in the program’s progress. Most troubling, the latest test indicates that [Tehran] is moving forward with the Khoramshahr, a ballistic-missile design that may already have the capability of lifting a heavy payload to targets anywhere in the Middle East or southern Europe.

Russia’s Nuclear Cruise Missiles

RUSSIA WILL SOON BE ABLE TO FIRE NUCLEAR CRUISE MISSILES TWICE AS FAR, AND THEY COULD BE COMING CLOSER TO U.S., REPORTS SAY

By Tom O’Connor On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 – 13:07

Russian navy frigate Admiral Grigorovich fires a Kalibr cruise missile from the Mediterranean Sea toward ISIS targets in Syria, November 15, 2016. Moscow was reportedly looking to double the precision weapon’s range, giving it the ability to deliver a nuclear or conventional strike up to 3,000 miles away.

PHOTO: RUSSIAN MINISTRY OF DEFENSE

Russia is reportedly doubling the range of one of its nuclear-capable, sea-launched cruise missiles, and is looking to deploy the weapons as far as the western Atlantic.

The 3M-54 Kalibr cruise missile, dubbed SS-N-30 by the U.S.-led NATO Western military alliance, can be fired by surface ships or submarines, and is capable of taking out vessels as well as striking targets on land. The missile’s current range is estimated at roughly 2,000 kilometers, or about 1,243 miles, but the state-run Tass Russian News Agency cited a defense industry source as saying Tuesday that „the newest high-precision ship-based Kalibr-M cruise missile with a maximum firing range of more than 4,500 km [2,796 miles] was being developed for the Russian Navy.“

The source said that the Kalibr-M was still being researched, with funding from the Russian Ministry of Defense, but was part of the state armament program outlining additions to Moscow’s arsenal up to 2027, so „the rocket must be transferred to the fleet before the end of the program.“

Not only would its range reportedly be extended, but „it will be much larger, the weight of its warhead will approach 1 ton [about 1.1 tons],“ the source told Tass, adding that both frigates and nuclear submarines would be capable of using the weapon, which was „designed to destroy land facilities and will be able to carry both conventional and nuclear warheads.“

Modernizing his country’s naval power has been a key element of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s campaign to restore Moscow’s once-global military might, and the Kalibr cruise missile has proved an effective tool in live combat. Russian warships and submarines have both fired the powerful precision weapon at Islamic State militant group (ISIS) positions in Syria as part of Russia’s campaign to support the Syrian government against rebels and jihadis fighting to overthrow it since a 2011 uprising backed by the U.S. and its regional allies.

The U.S. later switched its focus to battling ISIS but has done so as part of a separate campaign that rivaled the pro-government offensive backed by Russia and Iran. Differences over the conflict have sometimes led to tense moments in the Mediterranean, but one report suggested that Kalibr-armed Russian vessels could soon also pose a threat to the U.S. military at home.

Russia has greatly expanded its maritime presence in recent years and has increased its activity in the North Atlantic among other regions. In an article published Friday, the Washington Free Beacon cited officials with knowledge of recent intelligence reports as saying that Moscow now planned to send Kalibr-equipped surface ships and submarines on patrols in the Western Atlantic, closer to U.S. shores, in the upcoming months.

Such patrols were a common occurrence in the days of the Cold War and, as tensions between the world’s leading military powers have again erupted into a competition over spheres of influence, Pentagon officials have sounded the alarm over what they perceive to be a growing threat. In May, the U.S. Navy revived the Second Fleet to shore up defenses of the North Atlantic and, in August, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson said that a resurgent Russian submarine force posed a greater challenge now than at any point since the Cold War.

In addition to the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, Kalibr cruise missiles were also set to see service in three other maritime flashpoints—the Baltic, Barents and Black Sea. The U.S. has viewed Russia’s military rise with deep suspicion, while Moscow has accused Washington of pursuing hostile policies aimed at maintaining the Pentagon’s military superiority around the world.

Putin has sought to level the playing field by introducing new nuclear-capable weapons said to be impervious to modern or even prospective defense systems. These included hypersonic weapons such as the Avangard glide vehicle or air-launched Kh-47M2 Kinzhal cruise missile, both of which were too fast to be intercepted by existing U.S. defenses.

Israel Strikes Outside the Temple Walls (Revelation 11:2)

Israel carries out overnight air strikes on Gaza

Israel fires missiles at what it said were Hamas positions in southern and northern areas of the Gaza Strip.

07 Jan 2019 GMT+3

The Israeli military carried out air raids on the Gaza Strip overnight on Monday, causing damage to property, Palestinian media reported.

According to Wafa, the official Palestinian news agency, Israeli warplanes fired two missiles at a site in Beit Lahiya in the northern strip. No casualties were reported.

In a statement, the Israeli army said it had carried out air strikes against Hamas positions in response to a rocket being fired into Ashkelon in southern Israel.

Fighter jets and helicopter gunships then raided „terrorist targets at Hamas military camps“ on the Gaza Strip, the statement said.

„Earlier today, an explosive device attached to multiple balloons was launched on a model plane from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory,“ the statement said.

A Hamas security source said one attack occurred east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip and hit an observation point for Hamas’s armed wing, while the second was east of Gaza City.

The security source said no injuries had been reported.

The Gaza frontier has been relatively calm in recent weeks after a deal in which Israel allowed Qatar to provide millions of dollars in aid for fuel and salaries in the blockaded enclave.

Since March 2018, Palestinian protesters have been demonstrating every Friday east of the strip near the Israeli border fence, calling for their right to return to their former homes now inside Israel.

At least 240 Palestinians have been killed since the demonstrations began, most by Israeli fire during border clashes but also by air and tank attacks.

The Antichrists Men Will Drive Out The Americans By Force

Iran-Backed Shi’ite Militias In Iraq: We Will Drive Out The Americans By Force

U.S. President Donald Trump’s surprise December 26, 2018 visit to the ‚Ayn Al-Assad Airbase in Al-Anbar Governorate in western Iraq, near the Syrian border, sparked furious reactions in Iraq and even threats from Iran-backed Iraqi Shi’ite militias to use force against U.S. troops in the country. The rage against the U.S. was particularly fueled by Trump’s announcement during his visit that the U.S. had no intention to withdraw its forces from Iraq and that it has the capability to operate in Syria from its bases there,[1] as well as by reports prior to the visit that the U.S. military had established two new bases in Al-Anbar.[2]

In addition, photos published January 5, 2019, showing U.S. Marine Brig.-Gen. Austin E. Renforth, deputy commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, strolling through downtown Baghdad with his Iraqi counterpart Lt.-Gen Jalil Jabbar Al-Rubaie, commander of the Baghdad Operations Center, also provoked extensive criticism in the country, prompting claims that this constituted a violation of Iraqi sovereignty.[3]

Sabah AlSa’di, head of Iraq’s Reform and Reconstruction parliamentary bloc that is part of Muqtada Al-Sadr’s faction, said: „The withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria is no excuse or justification for leaving them in Iraq and turning [this country] into one of [the U.S.’s] bases in the Middle East.“[4] Faleh Al Khaz’ali, a pro-Iran MP from the Basra region, said: „The American commanders who were defeated in Iraq want to return [here] on any pretext, but we will not allow this under any circumstances… Trump’s visit to the U.S. troops in Iraq proves that these troops are not advisory and training forces, and the [Iraqi] government must take responsibility [and see to their removal].“[5] Iraqi Prime Minister ‚Adel ‚Abd Al-Mahdi clarified that the U.S. has no military bases in Iraq.[6]

At the same time, as noted, several Iran-backed Iraqi Shi’ite militias, all of them designated as terrorist organizations by the U.S., have threatened to expel the U.S. forces from Iraq if they do not withdraw on their own, and said that Trump’s violation of Iraqi sovereignty „will not go unpunished.“ A few hours after the conclusion of Trump’s visit, two shells fell near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.[7] Likewise, on January 8, 2019, a spokesman for the Arab factions in Nineveh reported that he had information about a plan by these militias to attack U.S. forces in Iraq. It should be noted that this is not the first time that senior officials in these militias have threatened to use force against the U.S. presence in the country.[8]

Hizbullah-Iraq militants (Source: Alhadath.net, June 26, 2018)

This report will review the threats against the U.S. by the Iran-backed Iraqi Shi’ite militias.

Al-Nujaba: If The U.S. Does Not Withdraw From Iraq, We Will Use Weapons Against It

Abu Wareth Al-Musawi, spokesman for the Al-Nujaba militia, which is part of Al-Hashd Al-Sha’bi (the Popular Mobilization Units, PMU), criticized the U.S. for what he called its insult to Iraqi sovereignty: „That idiot Trump must realize that Iraq’s sovereignty was achieved with blood, and that no [American] bases will be built in the land of resistance and martyrs…The [Iraqi] government is obligated now to drive out the American forces that harm the country’s sovereignty… Trump wants to restrict Iraq’s sovereignty at ‚Ayn Al-Assad Airbase, but this will not happen, no matter what price we must pay… We will not allow Iraq to become a base for threatening the countries of the region… Trump’s denigration of Iraq’s sovereignty will not go unpunished.“[9]

In other statements, Al-Musawi threatened to carry out military operations against U.S. forces: „If the American side refuses to withdraw, Al-Nujaba’s reaction will be the rifle. As we fought for Iraqi sovereignty and to preserve the political process, so shall we attack the foreign forces if they establish an occupation and refuse to withdraw.“[10]

Asaib Ahl Al-Haq: We Have The Capability To Drive Out The U.S. By „Means That Are Known To Your Forces“

Qais Al-Khaz’ali, secretary-general of the Iran-backed Asaib Ahl Al-Haq militia, which is also part of Al-Hashd Al-Sha’bi, tweeted: „Trump’s visit to the American military base without honoring diplomatic norms exposed the truth about the American plans in Iraq. [Mr. Trump], the Iraqis‘ response [to you] will be by means of a parliamentary decision to drive out your military forces, whether you want it or not. If they won’t leave, we have the knowhow and capability to expel them by other means that are known to your forces, which were forced to leave in humiliation in 2011.“[11]

Similar threats were voiced by militia spokesman Jawad Al-Talibawy several days later, when he expressed his fury at U.S. Marine Brig.-Gen. Renforth’s and Lt.-Gen Jalil Jabbar Al-Rubaie’s  January 5 Baghdad stroll.  Calling it „a gross breach of Iraqi sovereignty“ and a blow to the Iraqi people who oppose the presence of foreign forces on their territory, Al-Talibawy added: „We are closely following the illegal presence, deployment, and movements of U.S. Army soldiers in several Iraqi districts… The [Iraqi] people leave it to the prime minister and the parliament to take the appropriate stand on behalf of the people who [support] resistance and oppose every type of foreign hegemony… [However,] if Iraqi diplomacy doesn’t succeed, then the Iraqi people, who have their fingers on the triggers [of the guns] of victory and who bear aloft the flag of freedom and security, are fully at the ready to stand aggressively against the direct and indirect American presence and the American occupation of parts of Iraq, and to bring to an end the movements of [the U.S.] soldiers in the districts of Iraq.“[12]

Hizbullah-Iraq: Force „Is The Only Language The Americans Understand“

Ja’far Al-Husseini, military spokesman for the Iran-backed Hizbullah-Iraq, warned during an interview with Al-Mayadeen TV, which is identified with Hizbullah in Lebanon: „The resistance will force the U.S. to withdraw its forces from Iraq.“[13] On another occasion, he said: „We are serious about [launching] an operation to drive out the Americans by force of arms, because this is the only language the Americans understand.“[14]

Spokesman For The Arab Factions in Nineveh: Shi’ite Militias Are Poised To Attack The American Bases

In addition to the threats from the Shi’ite militias, an Iraqi element that opposes them also reported on the factions‘ intention to attack U.S. forces. On January 8, 2019, Sheikh Mzahem Al-Hweit, spokesman for the Arab factions in Nineveh who is close to former Iraqi Kurdistan president Masoud Barzani, told the London-based Al-Quds Al-Arabi daily that he had in his possession accurate information that Shi’ite militias associated with Al-Hashd Al-Sha’bi „are poised to fight the American forces, with Iranian support and funding.“ He said that these militias „intend to establish a trained military force that will operate secretly to attack the American forces in military bases across Iraq.“ Al-Hweit also noted that „the militias have opened offices for this purpose inside their headquarters on the Nineveh and Kirkuk plain, named The National Revolutionary Faction Against the American Occupation,“ and that they are overseen by the Badr Shi’ite Militia and the Al-Nujaba Militia in Kirkuk. He added that the Arab factions had informed the Americans about this.[15]

 

[1] Washingtonpost.com, December 26, 2018.

[2] Aa.com.tr, December 25, 2018.

[3] Alarabiya.net, January 5, 2019.

[4] Al-Quds Al-Arabi (London), December 27, 2018.

[5] Alnujaba.com, December 27, 2018.

[6] Alarabiya.net, December 31, 2018.

[7] Al-Quds Al-Arabi (London), December 27, 2018.

[8] See MEMRI Special Dispatch No. 7324, Shi’ite Militias In Iraq: If The U.S. Doesn’t Withdraw Its Forces From Iraq, We Will Take Military Measures Against Them, February 9, 2018.

[9] Ar.farsnews.com, December 27, 2018.

[10] Alwaght.com, December 30, 2018.

[11] @Alkhazali, December 26, 2018.

[12] Newsaliraq.com, January 7, 2019.

[13] Almayadeen.net, December 26, 2018.

[14] Alwaght.com, December 30, 2018.

[15] Al-Quds Al-Arabi (London), January 8, 2019.