History Warns New York Is The Sixth Seal (Revelation 6:12)

New York Earthquake 1884

Friday, 18 March 2011 – 9:23pm IST | Place: NEW YORK | Agency: ANI

If the past is any indication, New York can be hit by an earthquake, claims John Armbruster, a seismologist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

If the past is any indication, New York can be hit by an earthquake, claims John Armbruster, a seismologist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.Based on historical precedent, Armbruster says the New York City metro area is susceptible to an earthquake of at least a magnitude of 5.0 once a century.According to the New York Daily News, Lynn Skyes, lead author of a recent study by seismologists at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory adds that a magnitude-6 quake hits the area about every 670 years, and magnitude-7 every 3,400 years.A 5.2-magnitude quake shook New York City in 1737 and another of the same severity hit in 1884.

Tremors were felt from Maine to Virginia.

There are several fault lines in the metro area, including one along Manhattan’s 125th St. – which may have generated two small tremors in 1981 and may have been the source of the major 1737 earthquake, says Armbruster.

There’s another fault line on Dyckman St and one in Dobbs Ferry in nearby Westchester County.

“The problem here comes from many subtle faults,” explained Skyes after the study was published.

He adds: “We now see there is earthquake activity on them. Each one is small, but when you add them up, they are probably more dangerous than we thought.”

“Considering population density and the condition of the region’s infrastructure and building stock, it is clear that even a moderate earthquake would have considerable consequences in terms of public safety and economic impact,” says the New York City Area Consortium for Earthquake Loss Mitigation on its website.

Armbruster says a 5.0-magnitude earthquake today likely would result in casualties and hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

“I would expect some people to be killed,” he notes.

The scope and scale of damage would multiply exponentially with each additional tick on the Richter scale.

Iran Ready to Go Nuclear Against the US

Iran ‘may quit nuclear deal’ if Donald Trump sabotages benefits of sanctions relief, minister warns

Roland Oliphant Emma Gatten
22 FEBRUARY 2018 • 2:20 PM

The world will be plunged into a new nuclear crisis if Donald Trump continues to sabotage the Iran nuclear deal, the country’s deputy foreign minister has warned.

Abbas Araghchi, a deputy foreign minister, accused Mr Trump’s administration of violating the agreement by threatening to reimpose sanctions and said Tehran could walk away from the deal if it did not begin to see economic benefits from the deal.

If we lose the JCPOA we would face another nuclear crisis that would be very difficult to resolve this time,” Mr Araghchi said in London.

“I don’t think the deal can survive in this way, if the atmosphere of confusion continues, if companies or banks will not cooperate with Iran. We cannot stay in a deal in which there is no benefit for us,” he said. “That’s a fact.”

The 2015 agreement between Iran and Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia, and the United States obliges Iran to restrict its nuclear program in exchange for relief from
Mr Trump last month said he would refuse to extend relief from American sanctions unless the European signatories to the deal agree to “fix the terrible flaws of the Iran nuclear deal.”

He said he wants Britain, France, and Germany to help rewrite the deal to prevent Iran from resuming nuclear research and development in next decade, which it is allowed to do under the current agreement.

US sanctions will resume on May 12 unless Mr Trump signs a fresh waiver to suspend them.

Mr Araghchi said the restrictions on activities like uranium enrichment and centrifuge building were temporary “confidence building” measures and that to suggest they should be made permanent was “ridiculous.”

And he warned against attempts to tie the agreement to other points of dispute, such as Iran’s ballistic missile program or regional conflicts.

“It would be a big mistake if anyone tried to link JCPOA to other issues,” he said. “You would just lose the JCPOA and make those problems worse.”

The role of the US is crucial because many European and British businesses and banks are exposed to US regulations, making them wary of trading with Iran even if their own governments have lifted sanctions.

Mr Araghchi was speaking in London at the beginning of a visit to discuss the nuclear deal and bilateral issues with UK officials.

Indian Point Pipeline Is NOT Safe (Revelation 6:12)

Is Indian Point Pipeline Safe?
Risk assessment long overdue

By Liz Schevtchuk Armstrong

In February 2016, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo commissioned a study of the risks of running a gas pipeline through the Indian Point nuclear plant site. Seven months later, the state told the consulting firm preparing the $275,000 assessment to complete it by Dec. 31, 2016.

More than a year after that deadline, the study hasn’t been released and its status remains unclear.

After repeated efforts to pry loose the document through Freedom of Information Law requests, activists are urging Cuomo and local officials to do something. Stop the Algonquin Pipeline Expansion (SAPE), formed as the pipeline plans took shape, is among the groups that will take part in an “interfaith climate vigil” for Feb. 25 outside Cuomo’s Mount Kisco home.

Known as the Algonquin Incremental Market (AIM) project, the 42-inch pipeline began operation in January 2017 despite opposition from environmentalists and scientists who argued that a high-pressure pipe cannot be safely snaked through 2,300 feet of a nuclear power complex, much less one, like Indian Point, in an earthquake fault.

Although Indian Point is scheduled to close by spring 2021, critics contend that dangers of a pipeline accident will remain because spent radioactive fuel will be stored at the facility indefinitely.

Constructed by Spectra Energy, AIM is a link in a system to carry natural gas from the Marcellus Shale formation in Pennsylvania into New York, beneath the Hudson River, and across Putnam County into Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved the pipeline, although critics contend that its decision was based on erroneous data.

On Feb. 1, Philipstown resident Paula Clair asked the Town Board to call for the study to be released, saying that “we who live close to the nuclear plant have a right to know” of the hazards. Clair, who sits on the town’s Zoning Board of Appeals, said that the proximity of the gas pipeline to spent nuclear fuel means that “if there was an explosion or a fire, it would be a catastrophe.”

A draft resolution she proposed noted that a radioactive release caused by an explosion could “render Philipstown uninhabitable for generations.”

Philipstown Supervisor Richard Shea agreed that the study, paid for with taxpayer funds, should be released, and promised that the board would consider passing a measure soon. “I don’t think it’s going to be a problem” approving it, he said.

Susan Van Dolsen, co-founder of SAPE, said her organization has been attempting to get a copy of the study through FOIL and other means since mid-2016, without success. Instead of the study, the state sent stacks of emails and other items, often of dubious relevance, she said, with large portions blacked out.

Sandy Galef, who represents Philipstown and Beacon in the state Assembly and serves on the task force looking at the impact of Indian Point’s closure, also wants the assessment released.

In a Jan. 19 letter to Cuomo, she reminded the governor that she had previously asked to see the document, which, she said, becomes especially important as the task force looks at possible re-uses of Indian Point after its nuclear operations cease. “I don’t think we can move forward without all possible information,” she wrote.

As of Thursday (Feb. 22), the governor’s office had not responded to questions posed a week earlier by The Current about the study. The state Office of General Services, which oversaw the contract for the study, on Feb. 14 referred inquiries to the state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, which also did not respond.

Preparing for the Antichrist’s Rule (Revelation 13)

Iraq’s religious groups fragmented

Qassim Abdul-Zahra

Sinan Salaheddin| Associated Press

BAGHDAD: Long beset by toxic divisions, Iraq seems to be growing even more fragmented ahead of national elections scheduled for May, with Iranian influence set to grow and the minority Sunnis seething as they fend for themselves in areas of the country shattered by the three-year war against Daesh (ISIS). The Sunnis, many of them in displacement camps, bore the brunt of the war’s destruction and have been left so bereft that many don’t even have the papers needed to register to vote. If they don’t end up feeling the vote was fair, that could badly undermine the international community’s goal of bringing about the more inclusive government critical to maintaining a unified state and avoiding a repeat of the Daesh disaster.

Adding to the volatile mix are the Iranian-backed Shiite militias, now even more politically involved, which are allied with but not controlled by the Shiite-led Baghdad government, and appear set to gain influence that would alarm many in the region trying to check the power of Shiite, non-Arab Iran.

If divisions among Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds persist they could lead to more protracted talks to form a new government, potentially delaying the colossal task of rebuilding Iraq after Daesh overran nearly a third of the country in 2014, mostly Sunni towns, and then hung on as a U.S.-led coalition surrounded and bombarded the areas they controlled.

The militant group was able to at least initially benefit from some popular support among Sunnis.

After the ouster of Saddam Hussein, a Sunni, many Sunnis felt marginalized as parties led by Shiites were able to win elections by sheer numbers; Sunnis, in turn, felt they had lost their fair share of power.

Sunnis are worried that the Shiite influence mainly of the Iran-backed militias will grow in their areas if the Shiite-backed Sunni candidates win, and that will make it hard for them to come together in the future.

Aware of the problem, politicians now appear to be trying to distance themselves from openly sectarian rhetoric in the run-up to the vote, saying they will form diverse and cross-sectarian coalitions. But many expect the generally chaotic post-election creation of a Parliament majority will be sectarian in nature nonetheless.

“Differences now are deeper than before in that everyone is seeking influence in the next government,” said Ali al-Adeeb, a leading Shiite politician. “Thus, the process of forming the new government will be complicated and any further delay will further complicate the political and security scene.”

Nearly 7,000 candidates will vie for 329 seats in Parliament the May 12 elections, the fourth since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that removed Saddam from power, according to the Independent High Electoral Commission.

Candidates have formed 27 political coalitions and last month, the electoral commission extended the deadline for registering the alliances as political parties worked to negotiate deals, but failed.

Sunni candidates are divided among three big alliances and up to seven small ones. Leaders had demanded a delay in elections for up to six months arguing that their voters are in areas that suffered some of the worst destruction in the war.

Constituents would not have enough time to gather paperwork and update their personal information in time to cast their ballots, they argued. There are still nearly 2.5 million people displaced by the war around the country.

Sunni lawmaker Mohammad al-Karboli said Sunni candidates will have a difficult time facing more dominant Shiite political groups who have far more resources.

“The Sunnis will have a weak presence in the next Parliament. We are not optimistic about the coming elections,” he said.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced he is seeking re-election with his recently formed Victory Alliance, running separately from rival Nouri al-Maliki’s State of Law coalition. Maliki is currently vice president; he was prime minister from 2006 to 2014.

Both men are members of the Shiite Islamist Dawa party, which has said its supporters can vote for either candidate.

Primed to play a major role in the election is the Conquest Alliance, a coalition of popular Iran-backed militias led by Hadi al-Amiri, leader of the Badr Brigade, one of the country’s most prominent Shiite militia groups. Lawmaker Ahmad al-Asadi said the Conquest Alliance has its eye on the position of prime minister.

A deal had been announced between Abadi’s party and the Alliance but it lasted only two days. The breakup came at the behest of Qasem Soleimani, head of Iran’s elite Al-Quds Force and a key adviser to the Shiite militias, two senior Shiite politicians said. Both spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to release information.

Soleimani’s involvement suggests Iran is endeavoring to install its militia allies into power for its own political purposes.

A source who also asked to go unnamed said neither Abadi nor the Conquest Alliance could agree on what percentage of representation the Alliance would have inside Abadi’s coalition. Another source close to Abadi said it was Iran who first asked the Conquest Alliance to join Abadi and then withdrew in order to embarrass the prime minister in front of the West.

Lawmaker Mohammad Mahdi al-Bayati said he believes the militias, who were instrumental in defeating Daesh, will do well because of their popularity in both Shiite and Sunni areas. If they do well enough, they plan to propose Amri, the Badr Brigade leader, for prime minister, he said.

“Iran stands with us in the fight, so it will be happy if we win in the elections,” Bayati said.

The prime minister position is reserved for Shiites under an unofficial agreement dating back to 2003.

The same agreement stipulates that the widely ceremonial president post be held by a Kurd, while the Parliament speaker is Sunni.

Meanwhile, the followers of Iraq’s firebrand Shiite religious scholar Moqtada al-Sadr will also field candidates in their Marchers Alliance, while Shiite religious scholar Ammar al-Hakim, who previously split from the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq, will lead his National Wisdom Movement.

In the country’s north, ethnic Kurds who used to run on two or three lists inside and outside their self-ruled region are broken into at least six lists as differences have been exacerbated after the September referendum on independence resulted in harsh measures from Baghdad.

Some prominent Kurdish politicians have joined Arab-led lists.

In his briefing to the United Nation Security Council on Feb. 20, special envoy to Iraq Jan Kubis said cross-sectarian and cross-ethnic coalitions across the political spectrum are essential.

“Only a new government based on such an approach will guarantee the future of Iraq as a united, democratic, fully sovereign and independent federal state, as a factor of stability, cooperation and prosperity for its people and for the region,” he said.

Russia Nuclear Bombers Near Japanese Airspace

The Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) scrambled fighter jets to intercept two Russian Air Force nuclear-capable Tupolev Tu-95MS strategic bombers on February 20, the Japanese Ministry of Defense (MoD) announced in a statement.

The two bombers, escorted by Sukhoi Su-35S (Flanker-E+) multirole fighter jets, flew down the entirety of Japan’s East coast hurtling close to U.S. and Japanese military bases including Misawa Air Base, Yokosuka Naval Base and Atsugi Air Base. The Russian bombers were shadowed by F-2, F-4, and F-15 JASDF fighter jets. According to the Japanese MoD, Japanese airspace was not trespassed.

“The flight lasted more than 15 hours. During the flight, the crew members, namely the commander, commander assistant, flight navigators, onboard signal operator and flight engineer, complied with their commitments strictly,” Tu-95MS aircraft commander Major Ilya Smirnov told the Krasnaya Zvezda newspaper last week. “Common success and the fulfillment of a common mission depend on how well each crew member performs their duties,” he added.

.“Upgraded Tu-95MS planes operational with Russia’s Long-Range Aviation have advanced navigation systems and short- and long-range navigation electronic devices making navigation support as effective as possible. We face no difficulties despite the geographical location of our flights,” Tu-95MS flight navigator Captain Sergei Ryzhov said, according to the newspaper report.

The Tu-95MS aircraft is an updated variant of the older Tu-95, a Soviet-era four-engine, long-range, turboprop, strategic bomber that can carry stand-off nuclear-capable cruise missiles. Russia is currently upgrading its Tu-95MS fleet and is expecting to operate up to 20 retrofitted aircraft in the near future. “The upgraded aircraft, along with the Tu-22M3 long-range bomber, will form the core of a new Russian heavy bomber division in Russia’s Far East to conducts patrol Pacific Ocean inside the Japan-Hawaii-Guam triangle,” I explained in 2017.

Two Tu-95MS strategic bombers last flew along the perimeter of Japanese airspace in October 2017. In April 2017, two Tu-95MS bombers and one Ilyushin Il-20 maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft also skirted Japanese airspace during a long-range patrol. Additionally, in January 2017, JASDF fighter jets intercepted three Russian Tu-95 strategic bombers circumnavigating the major islands — Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu — of the Japanese archipelago.

Russian nuclear-capable Tupolev Tu-95MS strategic bombers, accompanied by Su-35S fighter jets and an A-50 airborne early warning aircraft, also conducted a patrol in close vicinity to the Korean Peninsula prompting the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) and JSDF to scramble fighter jets in August 2017. During their flight, the Russian aircraft briefly entered South Korea’s air defense identification zone (KADIZ) as Russia does not recognize KADIZs of neighboring countries.

Japan is facing a shortage of fighter aircraft as China and Russia have stepped up their aerial patrol activities in the region. The JASDF is in the process of inducting F-35A Lightning II fifth-generation stealth fighter jets, the conventional take-off and landing (CTOL) variant of the aircraft.