Why New York City Will Be Shut Down At The Sixth Seal

Indian Point tritium leak 80% worse than originally reported

Published time: 10 Feb, 2016 22:12Edited time: 11 Feb, 2016 01:51

New measurements at the Indian Point nuclear power plant in upstate New York show levels of radioactive tritium 80 percent higher than reported last week. Plant operator insists the spill is not dangerous, as state officials call for a safety probe.

Entergy, which operates the facility 25 miles (40 km) north of New York City, says the increased levels of tritium represent “fluctuations that can be expected as the material migrates.”

“Even with the new readings, there is no impact to public health or safety, and although these values remain less than one-tenth of one percent of federal reporting guidelines,” Entergy said in a statement.

New York governor Andrew Cuomo raised an alarm last Saturday over the reports of groundwater contamination at Indian Point, noting that the company reported “alarming levels of radioactivity” at three monitoring wells, with “radioactivity increasing nearly 65,000 percent” at one of them.

The groundwater wells have no contact with any drinking water supplies, and the spill will dissipate before it reaches the Hudson River, a senior Entergy executive argued Tuesday, suggesting the increased state scrutiny was driven by the company’s decision to shut down another nuclear power plant.

“There are a number of stakeholders, including the governor, who do not like the fact that we are having to close Fitzpatrick,” Michael Twomey, Entergy’s vice president of external affairs, said during an appearance on ‘The Capitol Pressroom,’ a show on WCNY public radio.

The James A. Fitzpatrick plant is located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, near Oswego, New York. Entergy said it intended to close the plant once it runs out of fuel sometime this year, citing its continued operations as unprofitable.

Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant on the Hudson river © wikipedia.org

‘65,000% radioactivity spike’: New York Gov. orders probe into water leak at Indian Point

“We’re not satisfied with this event. This was not up to our expectations,” Twomey said, adding that the Indian Point spill should be seen in context.

Though it has never reported a reactor problem, the Indian Point facility has been plagued by issues with transformers, cooling systems, and other electrical components over the years. It currently operates two reactors, both brought on-line in the 1970s.

In December, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission allowed Entergy to continue operating the reactors, pending license renewal. The facility’s initial 40-year license was set to expire on December 12, but the regulators are reportedly leaning towards recommending a 20-year extension.

By contrast, Reactor 4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat, Ukraine was only three years old when it exploded in April 1986. To this day, an area of 1000 square miles around the power plant remains the “exclusion zone,” where human habitation is prohibited.

The tritium leak at Indian Point most likely took place in January, during the preparations to shut down Reactor 2 for refueling, according to Entergy. Water containing high levels of the hydrogen isotope reportedly overfilled the drains and spilled into the ground.

According to Entergy, tritium is a “low hazard radionuclide” because it emits low-energy beta particles, which do not penetrate the skin. “People could be harmed by tritium only through internal exposure caused by drinking water with high levels of tritium over many years,” an Entergy fact sheet says.

Environmentalist critics are not convinced, however.

“This plant isn’t safe anymore,” Paul Gallay, president of environmental watchdog group

Riverkeeper, told the New York Daily News. “Everybody knows it and only Entergy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission refuse to admit it.”

Before the Sixth Seal (Revelation 6:12)

Earthquake in Delaware Rattles Region, but No Major Damage Is Reported

Nov. 30, 2017

The day that New York (sort of) shook.United States Geological Survey

A magnitude-4.1 earthquake centered in Delaware reverberated along the East Coast on Thursday afternoon — an unusual occurrence in the region that caught people from Virginia to New York off guard.

The United States Geological Survey placed the quake’s center about six miles northeast of Dover, Del.

A spokesman for the Dover Police Department said that as of about 5:30 p.m. the agency had not received any reports of property damage or injuries in connection with the quake.

The spokesman, Mark Hoffman, said that at his home about three miles south of the city, the shaking was enough to disturb Christmas lights and stockings, but not violent enough to scare his children.

“Everything seems to be status quo so far, so we’re thankful,” he said in a telephone interview. “So far it felt like we’ve escaped anything major.”

The U.S.G.S. by about 6:15 p.m. had downgraded the shaking to “Intensity VI.” The prominent seismologist Lucy Jones warned on Twitter that that level of shaking “throws things off shelves and can damage poorly built structures.”

As of about 6 p.m., more than 6,500 people reported having felt it. Maps provided by the U.S.G.S. indicated that light to weak shaking occurred as far south as Virginia and as far north as Connecticut. Most of North America east of the Rocky Mountains experiences earthquakes infrequently, the federal agency said.

Perhaps as a result, people along the East Coast took to Twitter on Thursday to express their shock and amazement.

“Ok so I’m not going crazy!” one woman in northern Delaware said.

“Still feeling seasick,” added a New Yorker. “Sure made our #Brooklyn building sway!”

Although earthquakes are less frequent east of the Rockies than in say, California, they do happen and can sometimes cause harm.

In 2011, for example, a magnitude-5.8 earthquake cracked the Washington Monument and damaged the National Cathedral. The Washington metropolitan area suffered mostly minor damage to homes, schools, office buildings and other businesses — but the shaking rattled nerves along the coast.

Matt Sedacca contributed reporting.

The Division of Sunni and Shi’a (Daniel)

Israel, Saudi Arabia & Egypt wanted US to bomb Iran before nuclear deal – John Kerry

Published time: 29 Nov, 2017 14:55 Edited time: 29 Nov, 2017 15:08

Israel, Saudi Arabia & Egypt wanted US to bomb Iran before nuclear deal – John Kerry
The leaders of Israel, Saudi Arabia and Egypt all pressurized the US to bomb Iran prior to negotiations on the 2015 nuclear deal, former US secretary of state John Kerry said. He described the proposition as a “trap in lots of ways” for Washington.

Kerry, who chaired the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee before heading the US diplomatic corps in 2013, recalled how he met Saudi King Abdullah, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in his capacity as legislator. All three leaders lobbied him for military action against Iran. “Each of them said to me: You have to bomb Iran, it’s the only thing they are going to understand,” he said.

“I remember that conversation with President Mubarak. I looked at him and said: It’s easy for you to say. We go bomb them and I bet you’ll be the first guy out there the next day to criticize us for doing it. And he went: ‘Of course, ha-ha-ha-ha!’” Kerry said. “It was a trap in a lot of ways. But more importantly, Prime Minister Netanyahu was genuinely agitating towards action.”

It was not clear when the meetings Kerry mentioned took place. He chaired the committee from 2009. Mubarak was deposed in February 2011, while King Abdullah died in January 2015.

Kerry, who was part of a panel of experts at a nuclear weapons reduction forum at Washington National Cathedral on Tuesday, used the occasion to defend the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, which he helped to negotiate. The deal, in which Russia was also a major negotiator, placed restrictions on the Iranian nuclear industry in exchange for lifting UN, US and EU economic sanctions against Tehran. Kerry said without the deal Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt would likely be developing nuclear weapons of their own today while a military conflict with Iran would be a very likely possibility.

The former top US diplomat criticized President Donald Trump for trying to undermine the deal. During the election campaign, the Republican nominee repeatedly called the agreement “a bad deal” and threatened to scrap it once elected. “That was a blatant over-simplistic political appeal to the American Jewish community. That’s all what it was, because most of those people hadn’t read the agreement,” Kerry said, adding that the rhetoric had “polluted the water” for American diplomacy.

Trump has since refused to recertify the agreement, arguing that the US got disproportionately few benefits from it, and referred the document to US legislators. The move was criticized by other signatory nations, which slammed Washington for compromising the landmark deal, with Kerry subscribing to it during the panel. Kerry said he was not sure what positive outcome the Trump administration could expect from “giving the nuclear agreement to the Congress to fix,” adding that whatever “fix” was suggested for the deal, it would be perceived in Tehran as “a backdoor effort to kill the deal.”

Kerry suggested that Washington should not make the nuclear agreement hostage to whatever other differences it has with Tehran, be it Iranian missile development, ties with Hezbollah or Houthi rebels in Yemen. He said that the only reason missile-related sanctions against Iran were not lifted under the deal was that then-US envoy to the UN, Samantha Powers, “very cleverly snuck them in at the last minute… and nobody really noticed it.”

Saudi Arabia has lashed out at Tehran on numerous occasions recently, even comparing Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei to Hitler. Tehran hit back by saying that it was Riyadh who causes tensions and “wages war” in the region.

US and Israel Threaten the Iran Horn

CIA chief & Netanyahu threaten Iran over presence in Iraq & Syria

RT

Published time: 3 Dec, 2017 10:20

Israel and the US won’t tolerate Iran’s presence in Syria and Iraq as it goes against their interests, Israel’s PM and the CIA’s director said in separate statements. The warnings follow an Israeli strike against a “military facility” near Damascus.

In a video message released hours after missiles struck targets near Damascus, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Iranian military presence in Syria poses an existential threat to Israel and would not be tolerated.

“Let me reiterate Israel’s policy: We will not allow a regime hell-bent on the annihilation of the Jewish state to acquire nuclear weapons. We will not allow that regime to entrench itself militarily in Syria, as it seeks to do, for the express purpose of eradicating our state,” said Netanyahu.

The Iranian-backed Hezbollah, fighting alongside the Syrian Army, has played a key role in ground operations against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS) militants in Syria. However, Israel says Iran is using Hezbollah to gain a military foothold near Syria’s disputed Golan Heights. Most of the region has been occupied by Israel since 1967.

In October, Moscow agreed to a new buffer zone along Israel’s border with Syria, which Iranian and Hezbollah forces would not be allowed to enter.

Since the start of the conflict in March 2011, numerous reports of Israeli attacks on the Syrian Arab Army and Hezbollah have surfaced. However, Tel Aviv does not as a rule comment on reported Israeli strikes.

Netanyahu’s warning to Tehran coincides with a similar statement made by CIA Director Mike Pompeo about the Iranian military presence in Iraq. Pompeo said Saturday that he sent a letter to Gen. Qassem Soleimani, leader of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and its elite Quds Force, warning Tehran not to interfere with American interests in Iraq. But Soleimani left the letter unopened, according to Pompeo.

“What we were communicating to him in that letter was that we will hold he and Iran accountable,” Pompeo told a defense forum at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute in Simi Valley, California. “We wanted to make sure that he and the leadership of Iran understood that in a way that was crystal clear.”

Similar to the dynamic in Syria, Iranian-backed militias have played a central role in pushing Islamic State and other jihadist groups out of Iraq.

At an October security conference in Baghdad, a Shiite militia leader said Shia Iran provided most of the support for Iraq’s fight against terrorism – and not the US-led international coalition.

Hadi al-Amiri, head of the Badr militia, claimed that “Iran is the one that helped on the ground in Iraq, and not the international coalition, during the war against ISIS.”

Despite grumblings from Israel and the United States, Russia has downplayed accusations that Iran’s part in anti-terror operations is a cover for sinister intentions. Along with Russia and Turkey, Iran is a guarantor of the current ceasefire and de-confliction zones in Syria.

“We do not have any information that someone is preparing an attack on Israel,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in August.